1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone owned a VW Bora

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by SteveTDCi, Aug 25, 2008.

1. SteveTDCi

SteveTDCi Active Member

[Aug 25, 2008]
    Has anyone on here owned a VW Bora, I've always wanted one - for some reason, and i'm thinking of going backwards from the A3 to a TDi Bora, although I always wanted a V5. That will free up enough cash to go towards a Boxster and boat or something.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 19, 2014]

3. Macduff

Macduff Member

[Aug 27, 2008]
    Had a '99 V5 Bora from December 2000 until June 2004.

Ours was quite well spec'd with leather Recaros and Satnav (although strangely no CD changer which I had to add)

Loved that car. Superb engine even if only 150bhp. Not the quickest and of course everyone will tell you to get a 1.8T as they can be mapped but the V5 has bucketloads of character, a decent turn of speed, a nice exhaust note and is reasonably economical.
    Enough space for 4 and a huge boot. Much better looking than a Golf too IMHO

Build quality was good if not in A4 territory. The main faults we had were AC compressor failure (covered by Warranty Direct) and a failed door lock.

I guess I'd recommend the 170 although I've not driven one but they will be a bit newer (although up to 8 years old for the oldest). Try to find one with recaros if you can as the standard seats are not great. I believe the 2000 onwards cars also handle a bit better.
  4. auroan

auroan Active Member

[Aug 27, 2008]
    Had a 2003 PD150 Sport. Cracking car, had no problems with it whats so ever.
  5. Essflee

Essflee Well-Known Member

[Aug 27, 2008]
    I drove my mates bora when he had it, was the v6 2.8 4motion. Was a lovely car to drive, used to pull like a train in any gear and the throttle response was amazing. Had a miltek and remap saw it pushing 220ish bhp.....one other thing it did have which a lot dont seem to was a little boot spoiler which i think finishes it off nicely......
  6. Simon66

Simon66 Member

[Aug 27, 2008]
    I had the Bora as well it was a sport version. that didnt come with a cd in either. Golf with a boot really.
  7. SteveTDCi

SteveTDCi Active Member

[Aug 27, 2008]
    not sure what mpg i'd get out of the V5 or even V6 there don't seem to be many new versions around, mostly 02 cars which is a bugger for my private plate and possibly quite a step back from a 55 plate A3 although the boxster might make up for it !
  8. Nilz

Nilz Defo worth the wait :)

[Aug 28, 2008]
    I think they are quite nice, they are something a bit out of the norm compared to your usual golfs.