Anyone owned a VW Bora

SteveTDCi

Reaction score
Has anyone on here owned a VW Bora, I've always wanted one - for some reason, and i'm thinking of going backwards from the A3 to a TDi Bora, although I always wanted a V5. That will free up enough cash to go towards a Boxster and boat or something.

Had a '99 V5 Bora from December 2000 until June 2004.

Ours was quite well spec'd with leather Recaros and Satnav (although strangely no CD changer which I had to add)

Loved that car. Superb engine even if only 150bhp. Not the quickest and of course everyone will tell you to get a 1.8T as they can be mapped but the V5 has bucketloads of character, a decent turn of speed, a nice exhaust note and is reasonably economical.
Enough space for 4 and a huge boot. Much better looking than a Golf too IMHO

Build quality was good if not in A4 territory. The main faults we had were AC compressor failure (covered by Warranty Direct) and a failed door lock.

I guess I'd recommend the 170 although I've not driven one but they will be a bit newer (although up to 8 years old for the oldest). Try to find one with recaros if you can as the standard seats are not great. I believe the 2000 onwards cars also handle a bit better.

I drove my mates bora when he had it, was the v6 2.8 4motion. Was a lovely car to drive, used to pull like a train in any gear and the throttle response was amazing. Had a miltek and remap saw it pushing 220ish bhp.....one other thing it did have which a lot dont seem to was a little boot spoiler which i think finishes it off nicely......

I had the Bora as well it was a sport version. that didnt come with a cd in either. Golf with a boot really.

not sure what mpg i'd get out of the V5 or even V6 there don't seem to be many new versions around, mostly 02 cars which is a ****** for my private plate and possibly quite a step back from a 55 plate A3 although the boxster might make up for it !

I think they are quite nice, they are something a bit out of the norm compared to your usual golfs.