1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone know of any cheap Audi Breakers / garage in the Swansea/Port Talbot Area?

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by jonnycraig, Feb 4, 2012.

1. jonnycraig

jonnycraig Member

[Feb 4, 2012]
    My B5 probs are ongoing, usual thing cash is a very tight and things then gather up and fail all at once! I need my car to travel the 70 mile round trip to work every day. So any suggestions on the best way or order to get the following fixed, or do I put the money into a cheap runner with the risk of inheriting new probs.
    1. Last night ice has burst the radiator, hole must be too big for radweld to fix (not that I hold much hope in it anyway) thought I had enough antifreeze in there but obviously not!
    2. There is a water leak where coolant pipe comes from the top of the rad and enters the block between the injectors, gasket gone?
    3. Indicators do hazard lights up or down - Stalk or hazard switch
    4. Fanbelt is starting to fray so should I do timing belt, waterpump and thermostat too?
    5. 152000 miles on the clock, so timing belt due soon anyway? 160k is it?
    6. Oil temperature gage has never shown a reading is that dangerous?
    7. and finally.... water temperature usually displays about 60-70 degrees according to the gage and climate code 51 display trick (lazy/faulty thermostat?)
    Thanks for reading my probs

Cheers Jonny
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 20, 2014]

3. audiv6quattro

audiv6quattro Member

[Feb 4, 2012]
    Hi mate, to be honest if apart from the faults you've mentioned and if the head gasket hasn't gone it's probably worth fixing, because as you say you will only end up buying a cheap run-around and inherit more problems. All the things you've listed shouldn't really come up to more than a couple of hundred quid and where are you going to get a decent car for that?? Entirely your choice but I would fix it if I was you. If the head gasket hasn't gone anyway.
  4. audiv6quattro

audiv6quattro Member

[Feb 4, 2012]
  5. Alsie

Alsie Member

[Feb 4, 2012]
    I'm breaking a B5 at the moment, in the south Wales area, if you need parts cheap, I'm your man lol!
  6. ScottD3

ScottD3 I want your faulty electronics

[Feb 4, 2012]
    1. Did you put radweld in to your rad? If not, please don't. But a new rad off ebay or if money is a bit tight, talk to a couple of the B5 lads thats breaking their motor.
    2. Thats possible the same thing as I just sold. Its plastic flange that splits. its bout £10-£15 off ebay or again, talk to one of the breakers and see they can supply you with the one off of theirs as a temp fix but I would deffo look in to a new one.
    3. They do what up and down? You indicate left and all indicator fault? Possible relay fault. Again Talk to a breakers and ask for the Hazard switch.
    4. I'll answer 4 and 5 here. Yes do it. Fan belt is every 60k or 4 years (I think) but its at 152k and no sign of replacement then do the two belts, waterpump, thermo and adjusters.
    5. Not really. Most cars don't have a oil temp.
    6. Could be thermo. get that replaced but if you order the part for fault #2, ask them to keep the coolant sensor in.
  7. Nessy

Nessy VW + Audi mad

[Feb 5, 2012]
    To get the real-time coolant temp it is code 49 on the climate control panel!
    I replaced my thermostat the other day as I was also getting a low gauge temp (it has always sat bang on 90 degrees once warmed up) and this cured it totally.
    A Genuine Audi 'stat cost less than 20 quid , so don't try and get a cheaper/pattern one, by all accounts they are ****!
    Having said that, the thermostat I took out was also Genuine , and had 'only' lasted since Feb '09 and approx 40k miles!
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  8. jonnycraig

jonnycraig Member

[Feb 5, 2012]
    Cheers for all the replies and advice guys, to top things off my battery died this morning and with no neighbours around to jump start me I had to ring the AA Grrr!!

Where abouts are you? PM me if you wanna give a bit more detail about what you have etc :)
  9. Alsie

Alsie Member

[Feb 5, 2012]
    Pm sent
  10. jonnycraig

jonnycraig Member

[Feb 6, 2012]
    Cheers dude will get back to you later when I home from work.