1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anyone know anything about fires ..

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by SteveTDCi, Sep 11, 2008.

1. SteveTDCi

SteveTDCi Active Member

[Sep 11, 2008]
    i don't mean the kind that destroy sierras on a saturday night but the one that are powered by gas and go in your living room.

We are looking at getting a fire ( gazco) and a surround all fitted but its coming in around £3000 ... would anyone reccomend any online places to buy ?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 30, 2014]

3. Nickynibbles

Nickynibbles Damn it where's 7th gear when you need it?!

[Sep 11, 2008]
    I wouldnt bother, the amount of heat that it'll send straight up your chimney its not an efficient way of heating your house, plus giving the state of gas prices it'll end up costing a bucket to use! If you want a fire get an open fire & some brickets from a local coal merchant, they burn for hours, light easily, dont smell & cost wise its gotta be better than gas!
  4. Kontraband

Kontraband Active Member

[Sep 11, 2008]
    £3000... blimey...

I ripped out the surround in our new place and covered it but mounted one of those cool remote control elec. fires. Looks the ******,(IMHO) but to be honest since we had the wall cavities done its never been on... now thats energy efficient! ;)

Anyway, I got ours from an online fire place in Scotland and they were brilliant... will try and dig the name out laters.
  5. SteveTDCi

SteveTDCi Active Member

[Sep 11, 2008]
    thanks, I don't have any worries about it going up the chimney since we don't have one ! its an expensive thing, the surround is about £900 the fire around £1200 and then around £500 to fit the thing... we always said we would put one in when we moved in and that was 10 years ago. I'd like to put it towards another car but I must let her have her way one time, especially as I blew 3k on AV equipment last year !
  6. arthurfuxake

arthurfuxake Controversial & Contradictive

[Sep 12, 2008]
    It's something I'm also contemplating. I've heard about "Flueless" gas fires, which is what I'd be after as I don't have a chimney either. I'm gonna spend less time on here, and more time googling "flueless fires".
  7. PaulMc

PaulMc Guest

[Sep 12, 2008]
    Steve Gazco are the Rolls Royce of Fireplaces, closely matches by MagiGlo. We are having a Gazco fitted too. If yours is the standard 16", it should only be about £1k for the fireplace. To be honest £500 to fit isn't bad. It's the £900 for the surround that is expensive. Look for a cheaper surround or haggle better ;-)
    The Gazco is very effiicent and heat does not get wasted up your chimney. It is a convector style fire so pushes the hot air back into the room. Should give circa 4kw of heat or more depending on type...You'll be toasty ;)
  8. SteveTDCi

SteveTDCi Active Member

[Sep 12, 2008]
    fire is around £1000 for the unit and £250 for the surround we want although we want the pebbles not the coals and it seems Gazco have just stopped using the pebbles.
  9. TDI-line

TDI-line Uber Post Whore

[Sep 13, 2008]
    Just something to consider with flueless gas fires, the clearances from combustible materials (eg. settee, etc) are usually very large, i have seen one which had a 1 metre clearance around it.

Also a permanet air vent is usually required, as it uses this for combustion and to dilute the flue products, this is normally 100cm2, so a 5" core drill is used.

British Gas as a policy do not fit any flueless gas appliance, you can make your own mind up why they don't.
  10. ebbs73

ebbs73 Member

[Sep 13, 2008]
    Ive turned down fitting flueless gas fires , I`ve read alot about the problems with them and people becoming ill , having said that i would not fit a gas fire regardless of type , co2 is a bad bad thing , just make sure you have a budgie in the same room .
    3 k !!! have a nose round pts , plumbs , plumpbase and get some part numbers may get it cheaper PM me .
    chris