1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone know about Peugeot 405's?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by dickys3, Oct 29, 2004.

1. dickys3

dickys3 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I'm looking for a second car to comute back and fore to work and I am favouring a Pug 405. The main reason is they are galvanised so they don't rust.

You can get a K-L Reg for about £500 with 100K miles.

I was hoping to get a diesel model but I have come accross a really good SRI. It looks tidy enough, but has anyone ever owned one? What are they like on fuel (1.9 Petrol).

I will be mainly doing motorway miles. Anything to look out for?

If any one has any info, please let me know.

Thanks
    Rich.
  2. jimboA3

jimboA3 Member

friend of mine had one and it was true to peugoets standards ! Dodgy electrics , gearbox issues , lots and lots of problems matey. May have been a bad one but all the older pugs ive had are plagued with the same issues , Had 5 205 gti's - all alike !
  3. AndyCollins

AndyCollins Member

Mate, go for a Passat. I bought a 1990 1.8GL Passat three years ago for £500. had 88k, fsh and ran for 2.5yrs while at Uni with very little money spent on it. Sold it 6 months ago for £600. It wasn't the best looking motor, but it was reliable, bomb-proof, nearly-free motoring(and wasn't actually a bad drive!) I think it was galvanised as well, it certainly had no rust at all.
  4. imported_micko2602

imported_micko2602 Guest

I had the 405 SRi, it was the later 2.0L version. Think it was only about 130BHP. Good motorway car with all the electrics. Watch out foor knackered sunroof motors, head gaskets can go on them at about 100,000 (not a major job)
    watch out for over heating sometimes normally an airlock which can be bled via relief valve dotted around the engine bay.
  5. imported_RastaS4

imported_RastaS4 Guest

Go for something German ( I would prefer) or a japanese everyday car... maybe a honda accord...

G
  6. Strick

Strick Member

On the flip side of teh comments, just to show there can be another side.... I used to have a 1990 405GRD, when new it belonged to my boss who travels about 100mile round trip a day, then after 3 years he sold it to my line manager who done around 50 miles a dy in it, then about 3 years after that i bought it with 190k on the clock and owned it til 268k!! That car never let any of us down other than the time a water hose split on me. Didnt cost me much in terms of repairs etc either tbh.
    But yeah i have heard stories of nightmare models too.
  7. jdp1962

jdp1962 Grumpy Old Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Don't laugh, but a Nissan Primera could be a contender. Reliable, and they're a pretty good drive, too.
  8. imported_AudiAuto

imported_AudiAuto Guest

i would go with honda accord, diesel
  9. dickys3

dickys3 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Cool, I'll check them out! Thanks again...

Rich.