Anyone know a rough price for track rods?

fran-s3

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
For an facelift S3? Mine have seized completely and my trackngs way out :(

Hmm the garage has quoted me £90 each! Apparently you can only get them from Audi? I think he means the rod themselves and 'nut' ...

£90 for both, that's more like it! Cheers

The track rod complete with track rod end is about 80 + vat from Audi.

The track rod end only is 22 + from audi IIRC.

You can get ebay track rods and rod ends for about £25.
I am not sure of the quality of the ebay or GSF/ Eurocarparts ones, but I got an audi one.
On my mk4, I fitted Vw genuine ones. Why, well, they are a pretty important part and you only tend to need them every 80-100k miles!

I would get the genuine Audi ones! you may save short term with cheaper ones but.... Driven hard you will need to change cheaper ones in half the time. So it really is false economy!

oh great well I ordered some from eurocarparts, I needed 2! Well if my calculations are corrtect they'll need replacing in 50k time? Don't think I'll have my car that long so not to fussed. :)

does any one know what make the original audi one are as the ones i can get are
Lemförder

are the audi ones made by them too then put in a Audi/vw box?

Lemforder are a top brand and make a lot of the so called "genuine" dealer parts for loads of car brands, Audi included. Im not sure about the track rods though. Either way, they arent cheap pattern parts if they are made by Lemforder.

I had play in my front wheels and replaced both the track rods and the track rod ends. Like someone else said, on a car that has 80K miles I was advised that it was only a matter of time before you'd need to replace the track rods. Also, the mechanic said you couldn't be 100% sure that all the play in your wheels is coming from the track rod ends - so you could end up replacing the track rod ends, still having play in the wheels, then needing to replace the track rods themselves anyway. So I took the hit and replaced the entire thing.

Well I got euro car parts ones for less than half the cost of Audi ones and are perfect so far!