Anyone had to replace exhaust flexible pipe (cat)?

VPMD7A

Reaction score
Getting resonance through to exhaust on a 1.9tdi. Been told the exhaust and mounts are fine - it must be the flexible link on the cat has become clogged and too much engine vibration is getting on exhaust.

I will be replacing mine possibly over the weekend.
As soon as I have done it I will post a quick how to for you.
I believe it is just the case of undoing 6 bolts/nuts, 3 each end of the cat section.
I have a very loud rattle/resonance on mine, the engineer says it is the inside of the cat that has come loose, this is causing back presure problems resulting in intermittant loss of power.
If you require a 2nd hand cat then try teh following contact, let them know what engine code you have first, I think there are about 3 different ones?

Overton Dismantlers
Overton Garage Ltd
off Dyce Drive
Aberdeen
Scotland AB21 0EQ
Tel: 00.44.1224.722354
Parts Fax: 00.44.1224.775451
General Fax:00.44.1224.722457
Email : sales@overtongarage.co.uk

Regards,

Jim.

Had two flexi links replaced under warranty on my Mk 3 golf TDI for the same problem (resonance around 2800 rpm)

No problems with my last Mk 4 TDI golf, but current A3 TDI is starting to resonate now. Have spoken to several other TDI owners who have experienced this problem also.

Funnily enough mine got a bit better when the exhaust was flexed by hand. Maybe in unclogged the flexible link a little. Its a silly design having the link attached to the CAT. (mines on a A6 BTW)

Typical manufacturers way forward, to make the flexi link part of the cat so's they sell more cats !

I'm pretty sure on the Mk 3 golf the link unbolted from the cat.

Just incase anyone is interested, a quick how to, to replace the cat section on an A4 1.9Tdi AFN Engine code.

1. Put the front of your car up on ramps.
2. remove the air box, this allows you access to the 3 nuts holding the cat section to the turbo.
3. Remove the 3 nuts, 12mm ring spanner should do it. 2 are easy, the 3rd 'bottom one' takes a bit of time.
4. Get underneath the car, and remove the rear splash tray.
5. About the middle of the car you will see that the exhaust pipe has a joint, this needs to be removed. 16mm ring spanner, slide the coller back so the pipe can come away.
6. This bit is a bit fiddly. You need to remove the cat and section of pipe through the engine bay. As long as you ramps are high enough, you should be able to do this.
7. Once out, remove the 3 nuts/bolts from the other end of the cat.
8. Fit new/replacement cat to the pipe and install back into the car.

Hope this helps, my car now runs like a dream.

I had a look in the old cat and the inside had worn away to the size of a tennis ball. Luckly I replaced it before it got lodged in the pipe and ******** my engine!

You can if you want to save money and give yourself a few more BHP's, smash the inside of the cat apart and make sure you get all of it out. Put it back on and you should be ok.

The MOT test only measures smoke particles not Co2 etc...

Regards,

Jim.

Just replaced all 3 exhaust mounts and it seems to have improved things. I can still hear the resonance at 1500 & 2500rpm but the volume and amout of exhaust shake has been reduced. Its a cheap and easy job but only really worth replaceing the middle 2 mounts and leaving the one at the very rear. (as the middle 2 mounts had been visible stretched - by as much as 1cm - they seem to carry the bulk of the weight). I was surpriseed by the poor condition of the rubbers for such a young car - although it does have 100Kmiles.
I bought the new rubbers on line for about £10. (I'll post the link if anybodys intrested)