1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone had problems with Federal tyres?

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by technics100, Oct 5, 2005.

1. technics100

technics100 Member

I left my car in today to get the front passenger wheel bearing replaced. When I picked the car up the mechanic told me that the wheel bearing was fine and that the tyres were causing the noise. He siad he had come accross federals wearing unevenly on the inside and causing excessive noise. I swapped the front and back tyres tonight and the noise has transfered itself to the rear. I'm changing the noisy tyres tomorrow so I will know for sure if its the tyres. The tyres are Federal super steel 595's. These tyres are **** for any grip at all, I have a 130Tdi with a couple of tuning boxes and can spin the tyres in the dry in 2nd gear and the clutch up...

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I didn't know you could even by them over here, they're Australian aren't they? Not really known for quality automotive products.

4. ivor1

ivor1 Member

I have a friend had a marshall tyre on his golf gt tdi sounded as if the bearings were shot to bits a new tyre made all the diff. (where are you in co antrim ?)

5. technics100

technics100 Member

I have two nankangs to change onto the front at the weekend. hopefully that will sort it..I'm in Whiteabbey, just outside belfast.....where are you.

6. Is this the budget tyre thread!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Federal? Marshall? Nan-no-grip-kang!?

Sheeesh! Careful you don't have an accident gentlemen!

7. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Can't understand why anyone would put shyte tyres on any car.
    I wouldn't even buy a used car that had no-name tyres on it as it's a good indication of how well looked after the vehicle is. When you can get decent Goodyears for £70 fitted, what's the point skimping on the most important part of the vehicle? What else has the previous owner cut corners on?

8. technics100

technics100 Member

I bought the wheels second hand, with the shyte federals on them. Just got a couple of nankangs (£30 for 2) to tide me over until I get decent tyres all round...

9. ivor1

ivor1 Member

I dont particularly like sh1 tyres either but i dont like paying over the odds for something that in real terms you are not going to fully exploit either , 45 mph on the motorway is n,t pushing the boundaries . In fairness i like something middle of the road. The continentals that came on the car originally were so soft they had worn out in no time.Autoexpress and autocar tyre tests make interesting reading on what is good bad and ugly. ( by the way im outside ballyclare . M2 into belfast each morning really pushes the limits in performance!

10. Audination

Audination Member

Try coopers great tyres for half the price.