Anyone had problem with number plate light lens cracking/breaking?

jaymarwa

Reaction score
Website
audi-sport.net
Got in the car today and got a warning on the DIS that the number plate light was out. Got out and checked and discovered that the lenses on the lights had cracked and broken around the plastic sleeve bit where the retaining screw holds them in. They were practically falling out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif

I think this may be my fault for shutting the bootlid rather heavily but I am astounded that this would cause the lenses to crack /break. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif

any has similar problems? does anyone know who much these bits cost before I go to the stealers?

most of the time the screws rust and you can't undo them to change the bulb , most stealers stock them at around £6

[ QUOTE ]
most of the time the screws rust and you can't undo them to change the bulb , most stealers stock them at around £6

[/ QUOTE ]

Pete

Thanks - thats exactly what I found - I got replacement lenses today but the old screws wont budge - any ideas/advice on how to get these out?

brake the lens around the screw then use mole grips on the screw or drill the head off the screw remove lens and try to mole grip the screw out

I've got exactly the same problem on my 2001 A4. One of the plastic lenses is cracked around the retaining screw. Keeps popping out. So far have just pushed it back in and not worried about it. Passed it's MOT last week and seems to be staying in place for the mo so haven't done anything about it.

Where did you get the new lens baldy, halfords/stealers?

Cheers

Mike

[ QUOTE ]
I've got exactly the same problem on my 2001 A4. One of the plastic lenses is cracked around the retaining screw. Keeps popping out. So far have just pushed it back in and not worried about it. Passed it's MOT last week and seems to be staying in place for the mo so haven't done anything about it.

Where did you get the new lens baldy, halfords/stealers?

Cheers

Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

Local Audi dealers - about £6 each

I had this trouble on my 2001 A4.

I glued the ****** back in and it's ok now (will require breaking and replacing when the bulb finally goes though).

I never got any warning on the DIS but my dashboard lights would flicker off/on sometimes at night.

I realised I had a bulb problem because the flickering happened once before when one of my indicator bulbs went AWOL. The DIS told me about that one though.