1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone ever removed the steering wheel?

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by Soupie69uk, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Soupie69uk

Soupie69uk Owner

[Dec 7, 2005]
    Just wondered if anyone has and removed the airbag etc?

Cheers.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 27, 2014]

3. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Dec 7, 2005]
    I have and it's relatively easy, just uplugged the airbag at arms length, nothing untoward happened. You will need a big socket though (24mm?, can't remember exactly), I had to go and buy one.
  4. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

[Dec 7, 2005]
    Not sure about the A4, but the A3 is a massive torx nut...Had to use my 2" breaker bar to release it...was f'in tight!

Rich
  5. Anito

Anito Member

[Dec 7, 2005]
    How might depend on the steering wheel. I have a 3spoke and it's a simple remove of a coupe of torx screws around the back and your in business.

Something in the back of mind mind tells me you should do something with the key (like making sure it's removed)
  6. joost

joost Active Member

[Dec 7, 2005]
    Disconnect your battery first (obvious but essential!!) Then there are allen key screws on the rear of the wheel (not sure if there the same number on each style of wheel but there are 4 on my 95 1.8). Undo these and the airbag will fall forward. Then just undo the wiring, BIG nut and Bob's your uncle! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

When you put the airbag back on and are ready to reconnect the battery, switch the ignition on, put your lights on (and maybe a couple of other things that will take some power out of the battery), leave the doors open and then reconnect the battery. If you don't, you could have a rather loud bang as the airbag goes off (voltage spike) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Done this a couple of times and mine's not gone off (yet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

HTH
  7. jdp1962

jdp1962 Grumpy Old Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Dec 7, 2005]
    Do you have to disconnect the battery? Can you not just remove the airbag fuse?
  8. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Dec 7, 2005]
    I didn't even remove the fuse, they're not armed with the ignition off
    If someone runs into your car when it's parked up the airbags don't go off
  9. joost

joost Active Member

[Dec 7, 2005]
    Strangely enough, that's what I thought but was only following advice from an (allegedly) qualified source.

Since I'm not that mechanically minded or qualified, thought I'd better follow their advice as didn't fancy having to fork out for another airbag.

Apologies if I've caused any confusion Soupie /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
  10. moschino

moschino Member

[Dec 8, 2005]
    As long as the ignition is off the Airbag should not deploy.
    Make sure you earth yourself first by touching the chasis to prevent static electricity from setting it off accidently.
    As long as you re-connect the Airbag before switching on the ignition you should not need to have the warning light reset.