Anyone else had ABS controller fault on their B5?

AndyMac

Retired from service
Reaction score
Looking at this article it looks like my ABS problem is a common failure on B5's.
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec116.shtml
Mine has displayed exactly the symptons described slowly getting worse until now when the ABS light is on all the time. The irony is that it looks like the failure is in the ABS ECU part of the controller which does nothing to control the ABS it just talks to the Main ECU to enable the warning lights on the DIS. Nice one Audi, another piece of unnecessary electronics! Looks like I need to remove mine to find the part number as prices seem to range from £40-500 on ebay.

Last edited:
Think it is pretty common. Is your car facelift by any chance? You can send the controler off to companys that will fix it for about £100.

Not a bad job to do either. 6 or 8 bolts (cant remember as ages since i did mine) hold the controller onto the pump.

Its happened on my S4, had mine repaired, if you do a search on ebay there used to be a few people who do a send your unit off and repair service.

There is an electrical contact inside the unit that need resoldering, its quite a fine wire so you need good soldering skills. I used to have a link to a thread on the russian passat forum that showed som pics of this but sadly it doesnt work anymore.

Thanks mate, I'm pretty good with a soldering iron so will give it a go.
Cheers, Andy

Unless your an expert i wouldnt bother. Its a tiny wire.

Yeah, just Dremelled the top off and think I'll send it to Autotek to repair.

BBA reman, PITA to remove, looks easy to get into but you are better off whipping off the wheel, arch liner and washer bottle to get into it.
I just sent it off, taped a poly bag over the housing while it was away and carried on driving. got it back in less than 72 hours
been 8 months now since it was done and faultless

Yes I went in via the wheelarch liner, very easy for Audi for a change, everything else usually requires removing the front end. I sent it off today and they said it will be 2 days.

Got the refurbed ABS module back today and it is like a new unit. All polished and the plastic parts have been moulded back seamlessly. Kind of puts the rest of my engine bay to shame.
Anyway fitted it and voila no more beeps of agony and I have my DIS back to normal. Very good service from Autotek, recommended.
ABSfitted.jpg

Last edited: