Anyone commute on M40 or M6 in Midlands?

s-line stu

Reaction score
I know it's a bit off topic but I'm due to start a new job next week and will have to commute from just south of Birmingham to Northampton.

My options are M42 North onto M6 then down M6 to M1 and off at junction 15.

Alternatively I could go M42 south onto M40, come off at Warwick, then go across A445, A45, M45 onto the M1 to junction 15.

Both are around 60-65 miles and around 1 hour (on a clear run) which I'm expecting to be more like at least an hour and a half with traffic.

I suppose the answer is to try both over a few weeks and see which comes out best but I just wondered if anyone had any experience of these roads in the rush hours as to which is likely to be the best bet as I guess both will be a crawl in places but I can't see a decent alternative unless I save up and buy a helecopter!

Thanks,

Stu

Where are you precisely in South Brum?

I drive into London nearly everyday from near Coleshill and nearly always take the M6 > M1 depending on where in London I'm going. The traffic only really starts to get heavy on the M1 after Milton Keynes.

Thanks for the response 1210tech, I'm near to Junction 3 of the M42 so logic tells me to go M40 as it's seems the right direction as I have to go north on the M42 to then come south on the M6 but I guess it all depends which has less traffic build up. I'm reconing on leaving home around 7am to get to Northampton for 8.30am

I have done the trip numerous times before as I used to deal with the company I'm going to work for. I always went the M6 route but never did it during rush hours and used to do it in just over an hour.

m40 defo less traffic than m6 from there bud, have always found m5 south down to m42/m40 soo much quieter

Thanks for the response 1210tech, I'm near to Junction 3 of the M42 so logic tells me to go M40 as it's seems the right direction as I have to go north on the M42 to then come south on the M6 but I guess it all depends which has less traffic build up. I'm reconing on leaving home around 7am to get to Northampton for 8.30am

I have done the trip numerous times before as I used to deal with the company I'm going to work for. I always went the M6 route but never did it during rush hours and used to do it in just over an hour.

i reckon if you leave at 7 you'll be there for 8. i know its not the same route but its about 40 minutes from coleshill to northampton exit

Thanks guys that's good to know. The thought of an hour and a half commute was a bit daunting (my last job was 30 mins into Birmingham) but if I can get it down to nearer an hour then that's more bearable!

I guess I'll give both routes a spin over the course of the next few weeks and see which works best and obviously it will depend if there are any incidents on the motorway. I do have the advantage that my new boss lives in Birmingham as well so I if get stuck in traffic he will be aswell!