Anyone change their air filter or done a cold air feed?

MikeA3

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
My TDI 130pd is going in for a remap in approx 3 weeks

Before it goes in, i was thinking of improving the air flow. Does anyone have any experience of this on a TDI?

I currently have two options:

1 - Replace standard air filter with aftermarket - e.g pipercross / K&N etc - i know a few guys have done this and although theres no bhp increase the throttle response has been improved quite a bit.

or

2 - Keep standard filter and do a cold air feed into it? - not sure if anyones done this on a TDI yet - is it even possible or worth it?

Any ideas?:think:

Mike

Consensus seems to be that the standard induction system is fine for moderate power increases. II had a k&n panel filter in mine, and although the engine was a bit more responsive I think I'd save my money and have stayed with paper ones.

In general I think the standard system is pretty good.

icenutter said:
Consensus seems to be that the standard induction system is fine for moderate power increases.

I guess it depends on what you mean by a moderate power increase? - i think the remap should see about 175bhp+ which is quite substantial IMO.

just wondering if a car with the standard filter will get the same results as a aftermarket filter?

I'd consider a 30bhp gain to be moderate. iirc the same air filter is used on the s3, which revs avout 2500rpm higher than the diesel lumps to no ill effect. If that volume of air can get through it is adequate for even a remapped engine.

icenutter said:
I'd consider a 30bhp gain to be moderate. iirc the same air filter is used on the s3, which revs avout 2500rpm higher than the diesel lumps to no ill effect. If that volume of air can get through it is adequate for even a remapped engine.

Thanks, I Didn't realise the S3 shared the same air filter as an oli burner - sounds like the stock system is more than capable then :)