Anybody on here into books????

smitch

Reaction score
Got back into reading books back end of last summer, can't put em down now!!!

Been reading a few by the author Lee Child, blood marvelous writer.

What you guys into reading when your not whoring on here???

:readit:

yep Im a book man, allthough I havent really read since I started driving to work as I used to love reading on the train. Still allways have a book on me though.
My favourite author by a million miles is beat writer/poet Jack Kerouac my missus got me into him a few years ago and now I own most of his books

Not heard of him.

Recommend any good titles????

I've read 'The Final Detail' by Harlen Coben - that was pretty good. But when I searched for his other books - they were relatively the same, so I didn't bother to read them.

Otherwise I normally see whats top ten and see what I fancy.

smitch said:
Not heard of him.

Recommend any good titles????

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Kerouac

"On The Road" "Subterrianeans" "Desolation Angels" the fella was a genius imo.. basically he was the first person to write about the drugs, music sub culture way back in the late 40s early 50s except back then the drugs were bennys and smack and the music was jazz :cool:

I read a lot when I have time. Favourite book is "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance", which nobody I have recommended it to has yet liked. :confused:
Can't get on with Jack Kerouac myself - "On the Road" rambles a bit too much for me, though there's one particular passage which just goes at a million miles per hour and might be the single best bit of writing I have read.
I also love Hunter S Thompson, like Will Self, Michel Tournier. I'd recomment Philip Pullman too.

Didn't Hunter s Thompson write Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas???

That was pretty good, weird but good.

Got all of Chris Ryan and Andy McNab's books, they can't write them quick enough!

smitch said:
Didn't Hunter s Thompson write Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas???

That was pretty good, weird but good.

*nods* That's the fella. Protagonist of the so called "Gonzo journalism" style. Very intelligent and very funny. Try "Kingdom of Fear - Loathsome Secrets of a Star Crossed Child in the Final Days of the American Century"...

usually read about people, read ayrton senna . good read, lance armstrong, not just about the bike, inspiring. angels of death, about hells angels, very eye opening organisation, just read the road to dakar, charlie boorman was gooood, was lookin tonite for something else, have to find sumfin this weekend...................

usually read biographies on holiday not much of a reader, but got into a book called "life of pi" as the misses is a bookworm. shame really as you can learn so much from books, i've got dyslexia so find it really hard to concentrate and end up putting the book down after a while and have to go back to it and re-read the same bit before it sinks in :-(

Howard Marks - Mr Nice

Cracking book, just wish they would turn it into a film.

I enjoy reading, but I'm not a book person to be honest, I lose interest too quickly.

If I read, then it's only ever magazines or chippy menus :laugh:

I read loads I usually have 2 or 3 books on the go at a time. I read fiction books mainly about the Napoleanic era like the Sharpe books or Napoleonic sea fiction.
I also read crime fiction have quite a few Harlon Coben and Robert Crais which I enjoy. I have so many I probably by a bookshelf a year LOL.
I also listen to stories on cassette/CD, which makes the Symphony stereo excellent I only have to load 6 Cd's at a time!

nivagh said:
I read a lot when I have time. Favourite book is "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance", which nobody I have recommended it to has yet liked. :confused:
Can't get on with Jack Kerouac myself - "On the Road" rambles a bit too much for me, though there's one particular passage which just goes at a million miles per hour and might be the single best bit of writing I have read.
I also love Hunter S Thompson, like Will Self, Michel Tournier. I'd recomment Philip Pullman too.

hear what your saying about the rambling "he called it spontaneous prose" and he refined/improved it in his later books...Hunter S is cool. William S Burroughs is cool aswell.
Anyone read Vernon God Little by DBC Pierre? Won the Booker prize a coupla years ago probably the sickest and funniest book I have every read. Pure jokes. :)

I actually find Lee Child a little annoying and put his book down in frustration and anger (bearing in mind books are meant to be a leisurely pursuit)... I found that he re-enforced his descriptive writing too much, i.e., he would say things like "he knew that" or "he knew that already"... got rather tedious after a while when he wrote that too many times in one chapter. Needless to say I never finished the book.

Good writers IMO are Terry Pratchett with Good Omens, intellectual but humorous whilst sustaining a very good plot. I'm reading 1984 at the moment by George Orwell - if you encounter this book be prepared mentally as it is heavy going but still very catching :)

I read like I breathe. Mostly fiction; Ian Rankin, John Grisham, Stephen King, Frederick Forsythe, Susan Hill.