Anybody know how to un-fog a fog lamp?

CHEZ

moderately amusing
Supporter
Reaction score
Over the last weekend we had some pretty awesome rainfall, and i had to wade through a few flooded roads.
i have noticed my front fogs now have misted on the inside through this :(
i do not really want to remove them if i can get away from it, so was wondering if there is another way of drying them out?
i was thinking of getting a hair drier on them? would that work or would i be pi55ing into the wind?
any ideas welcome!

you can try a hairdryer, in the past i have removed the light as its much easier in the long run and blasted the hairdryer in on a medium heat but be careful not to burn the hairdryer out by totally covering the end in the light!

Reactions: CHEZ
Turn the fog lights on and leave them on for 10-15mins the heat from the bulbs should dry the lenses, the fog lights are so easy to remove so failing that take them off the car remove the bulbs and hair dryer the hole left. Simples

Just take them out and leave them in the sun for a few hours.

ok boys and girls!,
i still have foggy fog lights! lol
the other day while washing it, i left engine and lights on in an attempt to dry these suckers out as advised above!
this seemed to nearly work at the time, but after a few days they have fogged up again! :(
can anybody put a link up for a "how to" on the removal of these please?
i have searched and cannot find one, and being a bit cack handed i do not really want to practice the removal blind!
cheers!

Chez it's easy mate, if you look at the plastic surround around the fog lights closely you should be able to see 2 plastic tabs at the top and 2 at the bottom, use a flat blade to lift the tabs and pull the surround to remove it from the car, once it's off you will clearly be able to see 3 torx screws to undo and the light comes out, disconnect it and voila.

Chez it's easy mate, if you look at the plastic surround around the fog lights closely you should be able to see 2 plastic tabs at the top and 2 at the bottom, use a flat blade to lift the tabs and pull the surround to remove it from the car, once it's off you will clearly be able to see 3 torx screws to undo and the light comes out, disconnect it and voila.

thanks for that chris! top bloke! will give that a blast tomorrow!

Right I have just been outside and taken one off and taken a few snaps for you. It really does take seconds.

fa26378a60129e0cc33b4787db4e0220_zpsd5ffa8a1.jpg

Not the best pic taken from my iPhone but you can see the 2 tabs at the top,I stand corrected there are only 2 tabs holding it in and they are at the top.

e75205b356eb77394acb6fe1fbc7b9a1_zps92edbdcd.jpg

Use a small flat blade between the bodywork and the surround and release the first plastic tab holding the surround back so it doesn't re attach while you release the second one.

6368f04d23eae18ad92bd09525836b76_zps5b63e8f8.jpg

here is a pic of the surround off the car,notice on the left of the surround there is a locating lug that sits on the outer corner of the surround

ae0258658ad5beb72cebef85a1cbf225_zps542bfc11.jpg

d885e924522c25a04f2ff5bfa4517b0e_zps041cc871.jpg

and finally here is a pic of the exposed fog light you should be able to see the 3 torx screws to undo, I think they are T10 in size

e0b31f25b3cad1a5cc07b60137cb5489_zpsa48631d8.jpg

when you come to reverse the process make sure you push the surround back on using the locating lugs on the outer side of the surround, it literally just snaps back into place.

i hope this helps

cheers chris that helps immensely mate!
thanks for that!
was thinking of sealing the front fogs to prevent future water ingress, but if it is that simple what is the point! :icon_thumright:
cheers mate!

That was almost live mate, you could have them both off in under 10mins even on your first attempt. Good luck with it if you need anything else just holla

was thinking of sealing the front fogs to prevent future water ingress, but if it is that simple what is the point!...
They're unsealed so any excess heat escapes before it blisters the chrome plating, also they cool quicker after use! if you seal them up the heat will expand the air inside and may blow a hole in whatever you used to seal them, then they'll be even harder to de-mist when they steam up again! eventually the lens will crack from thermal shock ...a' la Peugeot 205\309.

They're unsealed so any excess heat escapes before it blisters the chrome plating, also they cool quicker after use! if you seal them up the heat will expand the air inside and may blow a hole in whatever you used to seal them, then they'll be even harder to de-mist when they steam up again! eventually the lens will crack from thermal shock ...a' la Peugeot 205\309.

ha ha! noted! cheers :icon_thumright: