Any wheel/tyre experts ?

Amchlolor

Reaction score
Mate of mine is looking at buying 17 inch alloys for his Alfa 156.
They don't come with tyres.
How does he know what width/profile of tyres to fit ??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Mate of mine is looking at buying 17 inch alloys for his Alfa 156.
They don't come with tyres.
How does he know what width/profile of tyres to fit ??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

According to Rochford Tyres index 17" wheels on a 156 will take 205/45 tyres.

Hope this helps

Found it,cheers (ye cheeky sod..) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Can you beggar about with widths/profiles ?
That chart says 205/45,but could he fit 215/40 for example ????
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

Cheers for that DSGSport.
I suppose the speedo over-reading is better than the other way round.
I've a feeling he'll go for the 215/40 as,by my reckoning,they will lower the car by 7mm over the 205/45.
Is that correct ?

[ QUOTE ]
Cheers for that DSGSport.
I suppose the speedo over-reading is better than the other way round.
I've a feeling he'll go for the 215/40 as,by my reckoning,they will lower the car by 7mm over the 205/45.
Is that correct ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes you will have a smaller sidewall and a wide track with the 215's

Hope this helps

Matt

You also need to take incondsideration the width of the wheel. The narrower the wheel the greater the circumference the tyre will have and vice versa!

I would worry to much about such a small percentage difference different between the 2 sizes - as a tyre wears it's circumference decrease's (whats the difference in read depth of a new and used tyre about 6mm?)

Also differnet makes of tyre although the same size actually have different circumferences.

J.

D'you reckon he'd be as well going for whichever is the cheapest option,205/45 or 215/40 ?

Theres not going to be a great deal off difference in price between the 2 (maybe a couploe of quid per tyre) it might be that he has a prefference for a particular tyre and that they only come in one of those size mention!

Does ride comfort come into the equation, is he a careful driver? If either of these are factors he would be slightly better off going for the 205 tyre.

J.

Believe it or not,trade pattern is as important as anything.
He likes the Goodyear Eagle F1's.because of their distinctive tread 'V' pattern.
We can laugh,but tyre manufacturers invest millions in tread design.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

I can belive that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I love the F1's as well thank god they happen to be the best tyre as well IMHO, had them ono all my cars for the last 4 or so years