Any plumbers/heating engineers on the forum??

Right guys this is really stressing me out now!
I changed my thermostat just to check it wasn't that as I got home one day at 5 and heating been on since 4:30 and house was 12 by 8:30 it was only 16/17 so heating was on all evening!
Got a plumber to give me a price and that was £1100 for one type and £1300 for better one!
then my shower pump started to leak so paid £200 for new one which is actually wrong but it's 2.1bar instead of 2.2bar so shouldn't be noticeable right?
but what has ****** me off is we've been away this weekend came back at 6 hot water been on since 4 run a bath and had shower and water was only like warm I'm just sick of been cold and water been crap!
i was going to flush system see what that did but I'm now thinking a combi would be better but that's gonna be about £1700
arghhhhhhhhh!

Right guys this is really stressing me out now!
I changed my thermostat just to check it wasn't that as I got home one day at 5 and heating been on since 4:30 and house was 12 by 8:30 it was only 16/17 so heating was on all evening!
Got a plumber to give me a price and that was £1100 for one type and £1300 for better one!
then my shower pump started to leak so paid £200 for new one which is actually wrong but it's 2.1bar instead of 2.2bar so shouldn't be noticeable right?
but what has ****** me off is we've been away this weekend came back at 6 hot water been on since 4 run a bath and had shower and water was only like warm I'm just sick of been cold and water been crap!
i was going to flush system see what that did but I'm now thinking a combi would be better but that's gonna be about £1700
arghhhhhhhhh!
Gonna have to bite the bullet mate and get a combi.Have you checked out that ad on telly with that cnut johnny ball....a worcester boiler for 17 squid a month for ten years etc?

It does sound like your boiler is not working correctly or system is full of cr@p and that power flush could help

I just purchased a direct replacement boiler, it's not a combi and I get plenty of hot water after around 15-20 minutes. I decided not to go down the combi route as I have a power shower so would have had to rip that out, plus the water tank and the extra cost was just not worth it, as the only benefit is hot water on demand. I find that if the tank is hot in the morning that last just about until the afternoon, then I just stick it on for another 20min.

Funny you should say that I've got helplink coming out on Friday evening!
wanted British gas too but they don't do even or weekends! As there offering £400 back and £270 grant but doubt ill be eligible as I work and pay taxes!

Stay clear of british gas, I got a quote for them and the cost was £3,500 to do the job, got another quote from a local accredited worcester boiler installer and the cost was £1,600. British gas wanted £700 alone just to replace the 15mm copper pipe gas feed with a 22mm one. I just cannot believe people pay that.

Last edited:
Wouldnt bother with a Combi ,anything goes wrong and you have no hot water ,at least with a conventional boiler you can turn the immersion on (if it works) .

Yeah you really don't want a combi if you have more than one bathroom really. Go for a standard system boiler. £1200 is a gd price.

The reason for a combi was because I'm running out of hot water occasionally! Now the water does get red hot so it is working but for some reason we run out! With the water on in a morn and in afternoon till eve should be fine but doesn't seem so

I run out occasionally but for the extra cost of converting the heating to combi, it was not worth it. Do you know what size hot water tank you have, as it may be to small for your requirments.

140ltr I believe
which in my eyes even if she were to run a bath and me have a shower at same time it would be hot?
If I were to flush the heating system would this affect the heating of hot water too?

Flushing may help if the system isnt too badly scaled up. The coil of the cylinder will get scaled over the years .
Have you felt the return from the cylinder after water has been heating?

To be honest, 140litres is small for a 4 bed! If a person likes a fairly brimmed bath, you can easily smash through that!

Just checked and it's definatley a 140ltr!
Yeh both pipes seem hot
ive got some x400 and x100 so gonna give it a flush at weekend I think! Not done it before so any pointers would be great! Am I correct in saying close of supply to tank, drain some out then add x400 turn boiler on and run for good few hours then drain down and re-fill?
i was thinking would it help for me to remover each rad one by one and flush through with hose first?

That's one way of doing it, I would still recommend a power flush, I was surprised how much black rubbish came out.

Well the system is only 8 year old so can't be that bad! Plus it's microbore pipe so shouldn't be build up there should there?
Reason I was doing it myself was to keep cost down as its a "see if it works step" so I'd rather it be cheaper rather than paying a company to powerflush and the system still be crap

I'm all for keeping the cost down, and it's worth having a go. my system is around 16 years old and the rads have been off and cleaned out when I decorating a room, so I would say they have been off at least 1 or twice in the last 8-10 years, but there was still a lot of black stuff in the system.

The other thing they did was to balance the system, as the upstairs rads were getting very host and the down stairs was a good few deg colder.