1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any one serviced there own Audi

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by nlldavies, Mar 16, 2005.

1. nlldavies

nlldavies Member

I have a A4 1.9TDI 2002.

Horrified by some of the servicing costs been quoted to me , even more horrified by the cost of replacing the belt and tensioner.

I'm an Ex Audi-VW Mechanic, but days of working on these cars ended in 1991 (moved from cars to computers).

I'm now thinking of servicing my own car. Has anyone worked on their own car and more importantly... fitted a new cam belt themselves?

If so, how easy was it?

Thanks
    N
  2. nlldavies

nlldavies Member

Bad Omen.No one that adventurous then!

Any VW/Audi mechanics a member?

N
  3. gizze

gizze Member

The fact you are talking about cam belt change makes me think that it is out of warranty, so you are not going to loose the Audi warranty if you do it yourself.

I would happily buy a car that had had the cambelt change done independently if all the other servicing and stamps had been done by a main dealer.

I changed all the brake discs and pads on my Avant just before the service and just before I sold the car at a cost to me of £120 rather than the £450 the dealer was quoting, then they did the oil service. The guy who bought the car was more than happy with that as it kept all teh stramps in the book looking good.
  4. nlldavies

nlldavies Member

Yep, although only 2 years old the car is out of warranty (70k). I've had a quote of £448 to fit the new cambelt and tensioner from a Audi delaer and £250 for the service.

In the past I have religously serviced all my cars through original dealers and not once has the fact I've done this refelected on the part ex price when buying a new car.

So I've decided to do work myself. Maybe the purchase of a Haynes manual will help me decide on timing belt replacement.