Any Mods?? Suggested Air Filter? Power Boost Valve

mspah

Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm looking for mods for my A3 1.6, Thinking at the mo, a K&N air filter just to make the engine bay look more desirable, also thinking about a power boost valve, Any suggestions? I'm trying to increase the performance. Any Ideas /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

Am looking to do the same. Dont know hat to do. K&N is first on my list.
What does a power boost valve do and how much extra bhp?

Are you looking for a performance gain or the throaty engine note?

Forget engine bay desirability! How often do you drive with the bonnet up?

If you are wanting a gain then just go for the K&N panel filter - minimal increase in noise, but a definate increase in air flow... I know cos I have one!

If you want noise, go for the 57i kit, but be warned that induction kits like the 57i are linked to MAF failures.

IMO by fitting a 57i, you will actually lose power due to the heat inside the engine bay.

K&N panel filter is it easy to fit in, how much extra power would i gain, on a 1.6?

[ QUOTE ]
rickparmar said:
K&N panel filter is it easy to fit in, how much extra power would i gain, on a 1.6?

[/ QUOTE ]
Power increase would be negligeable.

so a panel filter's good. what about some top notch plugs and leads do? anything? what about increasing the amount of cold air into the airfilter do? (be means of rediverting with larger dia tubing to a vent)
what does a PBValve do anyway??

are all of these mods going to be that cruel to my mpg?

[ QUOTE ]
bayliss said:
so a panel filter's good. what about some top notch plugs and leads do? anything? what about increasing the amount of cold air into the airfilter do? (be means of rediverting with larger dia tubing to a vent)
what does a PBValve do anyway??

are all of these mods going to be that cruel to my mpg?

[/ QUOTE ]

Filter, air feed, plugs and leads will offer very minimal gains, a few bhp only. I take it by PB Valve you are talking about the Powerboost valve which sits in the fuel line? If so then it basically replaces the standard FPR (Fuel pressure regulator) and increases fuel pressure to the injectors, which all it really does as far as I am concerned is offer better fuel atomisation (Spray), so offering a slight gain in performance and a cleaner fuel burn. Before considering this you may want to take into account that the A4 FPR is rated 1 bar higher than the A3 version, so would probably acheive the same as the PBV.

None of the mods you've listed will adversely effect fuel ecconomy, if anything they should improve it, not that you'll notice. Allowing air to flow more freely, through the use of a performance filter and a larger air feed will only help, added to taht if the air is cooler it will also help.

But really the gains on a 1.6 are so minimal you have to ask yourself if it's really worth it.

Think I'll leave it alone then! haha

somthing which just came to mind, I nearly bought an ecotec valve for my pevious car, this is fitted inline on the servo - injection unit - anyone heard of this??

good point about the A4 FPR!! might look inot that.

at the moment I have a very slight lumpy tick-over; would anyone advise cleaning the MAY sensor with some electrialc contact cleaner (from maplins?)? I've heard it mentioned on here already...

cheers

The ecotec wont make that much differenct apart from look pretty. They only really come into affect in older cars.

You may need a new Air Mas Meter or somthing if the tickover is not right mine was jumping a bit and it needed a Mass Meter.

For the lumpy idle.....

First off you can verify if it's the MAF by simply disconneting the MAF and running the car. You'll see a massive loss of performance but if your idle's good then it's time to get some contact cleaner on the job. If however the lump is still there then my next favourite place to look would be the coolant temp sensor, which is a common problem and causes lumpy idling and in certain conditions general poor running.