1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any ideas ? Stuttering around 4000rpm when under load/full throttle

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Nyteryda, May 19, 2011.

1. Nyteryda

Nyteryda Nyteryda

hello, have an annoying running problem that developed a few weeks ago.. Basically 1st and second accelerate ok but 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th seem to have a stuttering/juddering under full throttle (almost like the power is being turned off and on very quickly) from the lower end of the rpm range which becomes most apparant around 4krpm. Once up towards the higher revs it accelerates normally (less load i guess), however after changing the maf it is running better and starting better but the 'stuttering' is still there.. I suspect a possible boost/vacuum leak as I can hear a faint hissing from around the alternator side of the inlet manifold and I guess this would be at its worst under heavy load.. does anyone recognises the symptoms and can give me some pointers ? cheers !
  2. sportstractor

sportstractor Chugger

vac leak or possible coil pack failure is usually favourites. You can combat vac leasks by doing away with the pcv system and replacing with a catch tank. If your car is running the old original coil packs, you are probably entitled to a new set of the revised versions as there has been a (quiet) call back over them.
  3. Nilz

Nilz Defo worth the wait :)

Sounds like your coil packs...
  4. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid

Similar to an earlier thread that turned out to be poorly plugs...
  5. Nyteryda

Nyteryda Nyteryda

i have done a search on coilpacks and not sure if i am showing those symptoms really.. could it possibly be a faulty n75 valve ?
  6. Nyteryda

Nyteryda Nyteryda

would that be spark plugs ? i was running rich for a time so could this have degraded their performance ? are they easy to access on an 8l s3 ?

thanks
  7. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  8. Nyteryda

Nyteryda Nyteryda

will replace the plugs first I think..which make/model are the best to use for a modified s3 ?
  9. Syvo

Syvo IF IN DOUBT GO FLAT OUT

the hissing near the alternator may be the pcv valve pipeing if you have not fitted a catch can mite aswell do it as the piping is a pita to try and fix.

this is what i found on mine
  10. sportquattro

sportquattro Active Member

Had similar problem myself, Paul is right its a total PITA to replace but it does sort the problem. Catch tank in due course will be a better fix long term though.
  11. syski999

syski999 Member

sounds exactly like my pervious problem i bet its your intercooler pipe thats come loose its the one above the pancake pipe that has a metal coupling on, the metal tabs on each side wear down until the pipe slips past the clip that holds it on after a while it will completely blow off! :mad:
    its a S**T!! design very common thats what the hissing noise is!! mine started after my remap due to the extra load.
  12. s3gazz

s3gazz Active Member

hi mate well iv had the exact same issue with mine for 2 month now lol but finaly got it sorted yipppeeeee.

not saying yours is this but 3 month ago i cleaned the injectors made hell ofa difference then after so long i started getting same simtems as u
    changed my coils spark plug and had a good look at my coil loom.
    check for leaks every weekend when i work on car nothing did the catch can and still same car felt different so do that.

anyway back to subject changed all possible things and this today i thought foooock it ill see if its the injectors cleaned them again
    and swopped them around tuck car for a spin and boom was gone what a relef 2 month argghhh so it wasdont to the injectors for the noise had a missfire on cylinder 1 and 3 missfire 1 has gone but 3 still there for the noise wooooooooooo to me it sound like it was coming from behind the dash holding back at 4000rpm in 3,4,5,6 under that was normal was just when foot went down at that rpm