1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

any help or advise out there on tackling some vag-com faults..........

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by edmanning, Jul 27, 2005.

1. edmanning

edmanning Member

[Jul 27, 2005]
    hi all

i have a largish mileage (186k) 96 a4 avant 1.9tdi.
    i have a power problem that i was advised was my turbo actuator + i'm getting a fair amount of black smoke when i put my foot down.

the actuator problem was suggested when i had the ecu re-mapped. the firm that mapped it were very disappointed as the result showed no or very little gains. this prompted them doing a few checks (io their time which i thought was good of them...)the turbo checked out fine but on removing the actuator they saw that the bar was floppy and suggested it should have pressure. is this correct as i have no clue?
    i expected to see this fault show on a vag-com scan but nothing..... would it show on vag-com if faulty? i do not want to replace it unless it needs to be.

the 2 faults that did show on the scan were.....

00575 intake manifold pressure.
    17-10 control difference intermittent

01265 exhaust gas recirculation valve
    31-10 open or short to ground intermittent

can anyone offer any advise as to how best to fix these faults. does either of these relate to the black smoke that i get or is this just because it's a diesel with high miles?
    could the intake manifold relate to the power problem or was the man on the money with the actuator suggestion?
    just to take something out of the running, i've had a recent new air flow meter as i know these are a common cause for power loss but in this case it was fine.
    any help or suggestions appreciated.
    thankyou
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 26, 2014]

3. docurley

docurley Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Jul 28, 2005]
    With a TDI that is chipped your goner see more black smoke than you would if you was not as this is part of the trade off having your car chipped myman. I would think that maybe some of the problems your have are adding to it by giving the incorrect mix of fuel and air I would think.

I would have thought you might be better posting this on the Tuning Threads, as there would be more people there with TDI's
  4. FezzR

FezzR Member

[Jul 30, 2005]
    the first fault (to me) indicates that the manifold pressure achived is not what the ecu is expexting,
    you should visually check every vacum hose these often split and prevent proper control of the boost, get the actuator checked (apply press. / vacum to it and check it moves correctly) the rod should move but it should be reasonably stiff (spring pressure)

and the tdi turbos arent hugely stong and even on standard cars ive seen a few fail. (more so than 1.8Ts)
  5. edmanning

edmanning Member

[Jul 31, 2005]
    thanks
    i can confirm that there is no pressure in the actuator. i inspected it when it was removed and the bar would move very freely. i wasn't sure if this was normal or not...... i will go ahead and get this changed.
    are turbo actuators interchangable from other audi turbos or do i need one from another a4 1.9 tdi?
  6. madvw

madvw Active Member

[Jul 31, 2005]
    sounds like you need etka to me, then you can compare part numbers and notes from other models. AFAIK, it depends on the first few characters of the part number, this should tell you if it is specific to your varient only.
  7. edmanning

edmanning Member

[Jul 31, 2005]
    what's etka???? how will it help me?
  8. FezzR

FezzR Member

[Jul 31, 2005]
    Etka is the parts system that VW audi use

i can confirm all audi 1.9tdi 96 models use the same actuators other than the AFN engine,
    you will need to make sure you get the right one or you will have more boost issues
  9. edmanning

edmanning Member

[Aug 1, 2005]
    thanks
    i have just spoke to a turbo shop about a new actuator. they said that they very rarely go wrong & my actuator works on suction not pressure. they suggested a that it could be a siezed nozzle ring in the turbo. are they correct about the actuator or are they trying to sell me a turbo?????
    when the guy that mapped the car took off the actuator (he thought it was faulty) he shortened the length of the bar slightly and after it was put back together and tested he was convinced that my turbo was fine.
    can anyone back up this new info i got about the actuator having a loose bar & working on suction.........?

thanks
    A4 1.9TDI (110) 1996
  10. mas

mas Member

[Aug 2, 2005]
    egr misbehaving can cause a lot of smoke. Some people block it off.
  11. edmanning

edmanning Member

[Aug 3, 2005]
    i don't want to sound like a total plank but what is an egr?
    how do i block it? pros annd cons of doing this....
    cheers