1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Golfers?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by waveform2, Mar 14, 2005.

1. waveform2

waveform2 * J e d i *

Hi all,

Wondered if theres any golfers around in here?
    Havent played for over a year and looking for new Irons/Driver wondered if anyone had any opinions on new technology?
    Handicap was 6.2.

Cheers

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
  2. richy

richy Member

Derek what u want and i can sort you out with some good discount at any american golf store....
  3. hop2407

hop2407 Active Member

Derek - I usually play once a week locally and am a member of a golf society - we usually have about 10 days out to different courses per year . Handicap 16.
    Bought me a set of Mizuno's (MX-15's) last year from American Golf and they really have improved my game. I also had them fitted (free) at A.G (You get 3 free fittings in the year). Mizzies are very forgiving. Also a Callaway Big bertha

As you were 6.2, I reckon you need to be looking at Ping G2's or I3's / Titlelist, callaway etc - I would imagine you know your stuff anyway and as you say, technology is alwas changing..

Try these links for reviews

http://www.golf-gear-review.com/results-reader-reviews/Irons

http://www.golfweb.com/gearguide/ratings?item_type=Iron&page=1
  4. macca666

macca666 Member

Derek,

there's a place at Hillington called Kane golf - www.kanegolf.co.uk - which do customised clubs.

They offer a set of superhawk irons which are replicas of Callaways and I have heard nothing but good reviews of them. They start at £169 per set with standard rifle steel shafts and go up in price if you upgrade the shafts. They will custom fit you as well and offer a 30 day money back guarantee if unsatisfied.

The guy in the shop is very helpful and will have a blether with you and offer advice.

Actually considering a new set myself and was seriously considering them.

As you know yourself everything is price dependant. Read a review recently on clubs reviewed under £400 and the snake eyes irons won the test. (the superhawk weren't in it)

Its up to yourself how much you want to spend. My father recently bought the Ping G2 irons and he loves them. He is playing off 10 at present.

Whatever you get I'm sure you'll enjoy them.
  5. Grant

Grant Well-Known Member

I don't really think a sub 10 golfer should even consider irons for £169. As with everything in life... you get what you pay for!

Playing off 6.2 is good going, but where are you losing your 6 strokes? Long game, short game or putting?
  6. myzeneye

myzeneye Member

i dont play golf, but my old man does.... he got a hole in one not long ago whilst playing with his mates..!!! .jammy get didnt have to get the drinks in as the club house bar was shut for refurb.
    would you believe, the following week, same group, same course, same hole... another hole in one !!!!
    unbelievable.....
    his mates say he's got it sussed and have demanded his handy cap be lowered. ha ha ha......
  7. hop2407

hop2407 Active Member

2 hole in ones.... wow some golfers go their wole life hoping and never getting one - Is this luck or does he really know how to play the hole ? - I reckon its a mixture of the two (know how to get the ball on the green and after that......... )
  8. richy

richy Member

lol @ copys of callaways....

ive worked in a golf shop for well over 2 years and ive seen it all..

rile (the company who makes the shafts) stopped trading over a year a go and so thats why u find that callaway, taylor made etc on all their high end clubs done use the rifle shaft anymore?

at the end of the day no1 can recommend a club as its what suits the person.. your best trying a selection of clubs within your price range and then going from there... find out what u think feels right and give you a good solid shot and then get them custom fitted doing let anyone do a static custom fit cos its ****** make sure its a dynamic custom fit and u cant go wrong...

if they guy knows what hes doing it takes alot to fook up the customfit bit..

if your getting back into the game and u used to play blades i wouldnt play with them as it will take alot to get back into playing as good as u did with them.. go with something with more of a cavity back.. nothing like a big bertha but something like a mx23 would do..

but the best advice i can give is practice....
  9. macca666

macca666 Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't really think a sub 10 golfer should even consider irons for £169. As with everything in life... you get what you pay for!

Playing off 6.2 is good going, but where are you losing your 6 strokes? Long game, short game or putting?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolute B***ocks ! ! !

Firstly, I played with a handicap of 3 (many moons ago certainly) and played with a cheap set of irons the equivalent of which would now cost about £200. In my wisdom I decided to buy 'a better set of clubs' worth 3 times the price and lasted 12 months with them before giving up. Had already sold my other irons by then and eventually went back to an old set of my old mans.

I gave the £169 above as a starting price I certainly didn't say to buy them. They do a variety of different shaft options which can be upgraded however, and I refer to Todays Golfer magazine, the dearer the shaft doesn't necessarily mean a better player. Shafts are very individual and the choice between steel/graphite or whatever else is an entirely personal choice.

And "as for everything in life......you get what you pay for"

I can't believe people still think like that. Yes you certainly can buy some cheap **** for things however if the above was true I assume we will all be going back to the Audi Dealers Exorbitant rate for parts/labour as they are obviously superior quality and have obviously superior expertise to everyone else to justify how expensive they are. This is just one example of overpricing.....

"as for everything in life......you get what you pay for " /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif
  10. imported_unkle

imported_unkle Guest

Mark Twain - "Golf is a good walk wasted"
  11. waveform2

waveform2 * J e d i *

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice but i have ignored it all since everyone was close to fighting hehe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Have gone for Ping irons, Titleist driver, Scotty cameron putter, Titleist vokey wedges & taylor made rescue 2 iron.

Cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
  12. richy

richy Member

derek? so why did u ignore the discount i offered?

humm...
  13. myzeneye

myzeneye Member

some people?
  14. myzeneye

myzeneye Member

a golf course near me has had a chemical scare recently with a local industrial firm......arsnic in the soil i believe..... (widnes, st. micheals)...
    in a true 'Ester Ransen', thats life style'e, there were signs up advisng golfers to "wash their hands after touching their balls."
    /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif
  15. IanL-S3

IanL-S3 Member

yeh i played a course and when we got to the club house there was an old bloke complaining about how his balls had gotten bluer with every hole!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif he was referring to fertaliser i think!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif member benefits /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
  16. waveform2

waveform2 * J e d i *

[ QUOTE ]
    derek? so why did u ignore the discount i offered?

humm...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi mate,

Didnt ignore, just i get a pretty good deal from my local pro and have had bad experience in the past with agd.

Cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif