1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

any gearbox people out there ?!!

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by FranA3, Mar 18, 2014.

1. FranA3

FranA3 events moderator

hey guys and gals its almost time to get the gearbox sorted on the A3 , now have been browsing ebay and such and there is loads of different gearbox codes for the same engine as in my car ie 1.6 fsi 6 speed , are they interchangeable as in can i put a golf/jetta/touran gearbox in my A3 or do i need one with my gearbox code for my A3?!!! any help greatly thanked!
  2. s3_sid

s3_sid Active Member

i would stick my neck out and say any 1.6fsi on a 8p mk5 platform will fit not a touran or i cannt imagine it , the ratios may be ever so slightly different but not massively ! as long as the bell housing is the same it should be ok and its still a 6 speed

its the same as in the mk4 golf1.8t 6 speed its a 02m style box, and a tdi 6 speed will fit as its a 02m but it has different ratios and they use them in the high power 1.8ts

so yeah you will be fine as long as its the right style box and its for a 1.6 fsi and its 6 speed it should work !
  3. foxymk1

foxymk1 Active Member

4. s3_sid

s3_sid Active Member

i would imagine it would physically fit but it wouldn't move ! as the gear ratios would be all wrong as you would not have enough torque to rotate the gears !
  5. foxymk1

foxymk1 Active Member

hmm, i put a 1.9td box on a 1.8t engine and it moved very well , leaving most thing for dead at the lights :) i fact it was in the mk1 van in my pic
  6. s3_sid

s3_sid Active Member

yeah but your 1.8t had power this is for a 1.6 fsi engine ...
  7. foxymk1

foxymk1 Active Member

8. FranA3

FranA3 events moderator

Yeah that's what I though as long as it's the same engine gearbox combo it would work wouldn't it? They are so hard to find though lol think I might be a case of getting mine rebuild possibly lol