Any English road users - SE vs Sport vs S-Line

djoblong

Reaction score
Based on my assumption that the SE is the most forgiving suspension set up, following by Sport and then S-Line being the taughtest, has anyone got feedback on the suitability of each type for the roads of England. This is also based on the assumption that European roads (motorways mainly) tend to be smoother. I have a Sport spec Sportback and I think I certainly would not want anything firmer than what I have. I spend a lot of time on the M4 which is ok but there are a lot of speedhumps around where I am. It's not quite as woeful as a London taxi though. S-Line drivers? SE drivers? Your thoughts?

P.S. I have not really had the chance to try on the Sport spec for what is BORN for, tearing into a few bends on B-roads, but hoping to get amongst in some weekend soon.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

i find that the sport suspension is still too forgiving...

i use my car for work and play and as i like to push it alot i preffer something thats going to hug the corners..

thats why ive got some coilovers on order

damper and hight adjustable.. so that i play with it untill ive got the right spec i want....

Can't comment on the se spec, but before ordering mine I test drove a s-line ( not many a3 dsg's about when I ordered ) and to be fair it wasn't as harsh as I was expecting. But day to day I personally think the std. sport setup is a fair compromise. JMHO, and what you want from your car, there are some that think the std. sport too harsh. Horses for courses I suppose.

I currently have an A4 with the sport suspension.I will soon have an A3 sportback with the S-line suspension.
I'm hoping it's not significantly harder then I'm used to as my A4 is frankly harsh enough for the abysmal roads around Aberdeen.
We have major arterial routes that you English drivers would be horrified at.
I know a wee bit about suspension as I raced bikes for years and,going by my A4's set-up,in my opinion they've got the damping all wrong.
The high speed compression damping is too harsh,meaning it crashes over bumps rather than absorbing them but,at the same time, the low speed compression and rebound damping are poor,meaning you get body roll and wallowing on smooth roads.
If I could afford them,decent shocks would sort it out but there are other variables like spring rates/roll bars etc.
It is amazing the difference quality suspension units can make though.
They can transform a car,or a bike for that matter.

I'll have to reserve judgement on my A3 until I get it,obviously,but I'm hoping it's seen the benefit of 3 years development since I bought my A4.

bowfer,

Be interested in what you think when you get it. Although in my earlier reply I said I was surprised that it wasn't that harsh, I would also be surprised if it rode better than your A4 on sport suspension.

Btw, yeah the smooth roads of good olde Aberdeen not.....

The council would rather spend money on 'square polo's' posing as art at the beach, Tosh.

Let's not get me started on that one, rant over.

I'm a owner of a Sport and riding in Portuguese roads....
I like the sport achievement, not confortable in poor roads, but well...
Basically I'm interested on even getting a slightly lowered suspension...options are:
1) S-line springs, but what about the dumpers? Since s-line springs are only 10mm lower than sport there shouldn't be any problem.
2) H&R 35 springs, which I think it should be the best, but what about dumpers? I know my dumpers are sports but are they already suitable for a drop of 35 mm? Those anyone know the size of dumpers in standard/sport/s-line configurations?
3) coilover suspensions..... I have them on my Punto GT (koni) and basically I'm not interested on having a car that makes big tripps a hell.... They are perfect for handling that's for sure...

In this car I want to maximize the use of VW parts, as well as, confort ride if security it permits :p

Personnally, I prefered the S-line chassis over both Sport and SE. The roads around where I live are not very good (poor, rough surfaces, some pot holes etc.) but I found the SE wallowed where the sport crashed, and where the S-line just sailed through.

I definitely agree with Bowfer on the damping characteristics commonly found on Audis of late. But the S-line shockers are really different. No crashing no wallowing. Best of the three... for me at least.

ShaHeed:

[ QUOTE ]
1) S-line springs, but what about the dumpers? Since s-line springs are only 10mm lower than sport there shouldn't be any problem

[/ QUOTE ]

If I were you, I wouldn't just get the S-line springs: your dAmpers won't match those springs. That would be a problem if you are looking for a homogenous suspension set-up.

[ QUOTE ]
2) H&R 35 springs, which I think it should be the best, but what about dumpers? I know my dumpers are sports but are they already suitable for a drop of 35 mm? Those anyone know the size of dumpers in standard/sport/s-line configurations?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I may give you advice, then it would be to buy dampers from the same person who will make your lowering springs. That way you should get a well matched spring and shock. Remember that the primary function of a damper is to dampen (control) the oscillations (natural repeated bounce) of the spring.

[ QUOTE ]
3) coilover suspensions..... I have them on my Punto GT (koni) and basically I'm not interested on having a car that makes big tripps a hell.... They are perfect for handling that's for sure...

[/ QUOTE ]

Some coilovers can be quite comfortable. The hard part is finding a car like yours with the coilovers you think are right for you, and going for a test drive before ordering. Koni dampers in general and Koni coilovers in particular are usually on the very stiff side (good handling on a track, but not on a normal road).

There you go ShaHeed, just my .02Euro... Hope this helps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif.