Any eBay cheap(ish) code reader recommendations?

Rfmacaskill

Reaction score
I've got access to a pal with Vagcom for a full scan etc but a hand held one seems like a cunning plan for quickly resetting / finding faults codes.

Something that'll work on both my B5 TQS and 2005 Touran would be grand.

Anyone care to recommend one? Budget is under £50.

Thanks

Ross

that 1 is just for example look around on ebay you might be able to get cheaper

I think I have the u281, but i got my dad the other one there all same anyway .

I've got an ELM327 off ebay which works with the Torque app on my phone. Seems to do the job for less than a tenner all in.

I got the elm 327 after people said it worked, for me It didnt I spent about 2weeks trying never worked tried 3 phones and 4 cars . But I know people it has worked for I think some of the interfaces are bad. a fivers not a big loss but it was annoying as it looked good but ive got 2 mk 4 golf gti's and and a4 tqs and wont work on any of them at least mine wont.

ok, might have to give a look! did you order your one from china? not sure if I can wait that long:banghead:

mines was ordered from china and im not sure how long it took to be honest as my uncle had it for a few year before I got it off him.
as I say its had years of abuse and was used in a garage for a few years so its served its purpose and paid for its self.
My uncle upgraded to a snap on reader and says that he preferred this..

I've got an ELM327 off ebay which works with the Torque app on my phone. Seems to do the job for less than a tenner all in.

Just bought one of these and managed to get it talking to the Touran but not the TQS. Did you have any issues michaelg1001 when you used yours?

Just bought one of these and managed to get it talking to the Touran but not the TQS. Did you have any issues michaelg1001 when you used yours?

good luck from what ive worked out it will either work or it wont lol

the newer vag stuff will be picked up by most OBD2 readers where as the early stuff really needs to be scanned with a vag specific one. hence the one ive got has 2 functions. when you first turn it on it gives you the option to go into the vag software or the OBD2 software.

rfmacaskill: The TQS doesnt work with Torque/ELM327, but the S4 will, as it has a newer ECU.

Cable throttle cars only talk a vag specific protocol. Later DBW cars will talk the industry standard protocol as well.