any downsides to using the revo sps2 device too much?

Are you talking about switching between stock and performance modes or switching between 95ron and 98ron settings while in performance mode?

Either way, every time you alter something using your SPS you'll need to allow the ECU to adapt to the new parameters to be getting the best from whatever mode/setting you're in. This typically takes around 5 hours of driving time. It's not essential nor damaging in any way to not allow full adaptation before changing settings again, but you may find you loose a little performance or fuel economy (it's debatable whether you'd even notice).

A quicker way round it is to disconnect the battery for 20mins; this completley resets all the adaptations the ECU has previously made so it will more quickly adapt to the new parameters. A bit of a pain though because you keep having to change the clocks, recode the stereo and you loose the info on your DIS!

I run my 1.8T Sport in performance mode and use BP 97ron fuel all the time. I've never felt the need to even use my SPS. I don't suffer from worse mpg for it and a tank of fuel is only £3.50 more expensive than regular unleaded.

Anyhoo, basically i'd say there is no problem with using your SPS as much as you like.

as with all EEPROM's, they only have a certain number of time that they can be erased and programmed - after this they need replacing. It's not as easy as it completely failing either, as you'll get bad blocks just like you do on a hard disk.

The chances of you hitting this limit are pretty slim though, unless you remap it like every 5 minutes for the next few years.

madvw said:
as with all EEPROM's, they only have a certain number of time that they can be erased and programmed - after this they need replacing. It's not as easy as it completely failing either, as you'll get bad blocks just like you do on a hard disk.

The chances of you hitting this limit are pretty slim though, unless you remap it like every 5 minutes for the next few years.

The ECU uses the AMD AM29F010 memory. This is certified for 100,000 erase/re-writes and will typically last for 1,000,000.

lots of dull technical detail here: http://www.alphacron.de/download/hardware/29F010.pdf

I think you'll be ok switching it every now and then with an SPS.