1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any consequence to using a non stretch bolt for one of the dogbone bolts?

Bad Sir Culation Dec 29, 2013

1. Bad Sir Culation

Bad Sir Culation Member

I have already done this, but thought I'd check while I remember.

I bought new bolts for when I replaced my dogbone bush with a red powerflex item. I tightened to the torque setting I found on one of the forums, 40nm (for the two different length bolts) and then a quarter turn. I didn't quite reach a quarter on one of them when I felt that horrible feeling of the bolt threading the hole and going loose again.

When I removed it again, it brought some of the thread out with it. I did manage to find a slightly longer bolt which I have now replaced it with as it managed to find enough thread for me to torque it to 40nm.

Should I just leave it now and forget about it, or should I expect issues?

2. desertstorm

desertstorm Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User quattro Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group TDi

How long is a piece of string. I would give it a week or so and check it's still tight at 40Nm . If so you are probably good.

Karl.

3. badger5

badger5 www.badger5.co.uk Site Sponsor

torque angle on old gear is flawed imho (unless head bolts) as the threads are so often corroded and the dogbone stuff corrodes like a mofo from galvanic corrosion... steel bolt, ally housing etc...

"feel" overrides factory torque angle for me.

Choose a 10:9 grade bolt but if the captice nut bits damaged you will struggle to get it tight :(

4. Bad Sir Culation

Bad Sir Culation Member

Checked this a week or two ago and it was OK. I am going to check again this weekend as it's now been about a month so if it's still tight I will stop worrying about it.

Re: steel bolts/ally housing, had this on a set of Brembos once. The bolt welded to the caliper and the whole thing ended up having to be helicoiled!