Any buying guides for a new member?

crazypainter

Reaction score
Website
www.crazypainter.com
Hi,
Just signed up! I currently own a Passat that I have spent alot of time and money on and now I need a new challenge. Its going to be an A4, almost certainly an Avant and maybe a 1.8T as I am familiar with the engine although the 2.5 TDi maybe a goer??
In an ideal world, chrome pack, S-line, leather and under 100k miles. But we'll see!
I have searched for an A4 buyers guide on here but after trawling a while and not finding anything thought I would ask! So, you can see what I am thinking of getting, performance wise I want something approaching 200 horses or that can be comfortably mapped to at least that. My current car went to MRC Tuning who turned a great job so I have no hesitation doing that. What sort of things do I need to be aware off specifically? I obviously will get a vehicle with FSH but its the more specifics I need to know for example on the B5 passat you need to check passenger carpet is not wet as a common problem was the drain holes getting blocked under scuttle and then water building up and back down the bulkhead , down into footwell and causing damage to comfort control module which controls the electrics, locks etc etc etc Its this sort of thing I neeed to know as I have literally just started to root around. I have been scouring adverts and taken a few test drives for a while so I have a rough idea what i could get. All advice greatly appreciated and I hope soon I can provide some input myself!

Hi Crazy

I've a 1.8T Avant with the red T. And I love it though it hurts me so.

There's people here that know a lot more than me, but from my experience things worth watching for (and there's more and someone will be along to add to the list no doubt) are:

Cam belt/water pump combo. Any number of threads here about that. You can pay anywhere between £200 and £600 to get them changed, depending on your buying/bargaining skills.

Making sure it's had the right oil in it is right up there too. 5w30 full fat. Not the semi skimmed stuff.

Wipers. Rear one will probably already be seized. The front ones likely to be going slow and about to seize. Fixing is a DIY job. I did the front ones for £65 and a couple of hours fiddling and I'm timid with a spanner. Think I'll remove the back, plug the hole and call it a mod.

Glove box can go wonky if the previous owner pushed it open faster than the damper wanted to go. Will need replacing and I don't think it's cheap.

Coil packs seem to randomly pass over the other side. I've buried three in a year. They were little troopers bless their souls. But you're probably used to that with your Passat.

Umm that seems to be the common issues that I've encountered so far. I've had other issues but they seem to be specially arranged just for me.

Dope, whats the 'hurts' part? I was kinda hoping I would be getting little extra on the refined side of motoring and aware you pay a little more but by shopping around thought I would be ok for it.I guess its like all cars you get good 'uns and the other ones. I have heard a few scare stories but dont know if its true, that some diagnostic code scans and resets can only be done at Audi??? surely not?

There's a wealth of knowledge on here, once you've narrowed down your choice a bit (specifically engine wise) then I'm sure we'll be able to advise better.

I have heard a few scare stories but dont know if its true, that some diagnostic code scans and resets can only be done at Audi??? surely not?

Half true - some things require a full version of the VAGCom diagnostic computer program - generally it's only main dealers who have it, although it can be bought for about £220, and many members do this.