1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any auto dimming rear view mirrors? Retro fit guide fitting.

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by AudiS3-Turbo, Mar 28, 2013.

1. AudiS3-Turbo

AudiS3-Turbo Member

Any 8l have the auto dimming rear view mirror fitted as standard? I've got the hole set up off a bora, including the rain sensor, wiring relays etc for 20 quid and all in black... Any one retro fitted one?
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  2. Pabl0

Pabl0 Member

It was an extra did test drive a S3 with one afew years ago, sadly it was about the only good thing about the car.
  3. Davjon747

Davjon747 New Member

I have a auto dimming mirror on my 2005 a3 but does not work is there anything to check you could recommend to me please.
  4. Westy

Westy Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

I've got one on my 2002 S3. Great when you have a big 4x4 sitting up your chuff at the traffic lights.
  5. stuart_tate41

stuart_tate41 Member

Pretty sure I've got one in my 2002. Seems to have a sensor in the front of it pointing to the rear of the car. Never noticed it before this thread don't even know if it works lol
  6. AudiS3-Turbo

AudiS3-Turbo Member

There should be a fuse for it,check fuse 5,other than that there are three wires to the unit, ignition feed,blue/black,brow for earth and the last wire is for reverse cut out feed.

To check the operation,cover the sensor in the front of the mirror with your finger and shine a bright light into the front sensor (ignition on) and it should dim quickly

Ive always moaned about dazzling lights behind me,so when i got offered a black mirror ,wiring replays etc for 20 quid i jumped at it...its all in and works a treat,love it!
  7. AudiS3-Turbo

AudiS3-Turbo Member

First is the button on the screen that attaches the original mirror,its a different fitting and i know if i try to remove it it will crack the glass,other option is to buy a new later screen...but not yet

Original twist fit mirror below,auto dim on top.

[​IMG]

original non dim mirror button.

[​IMG]

The Auto dim mirror has a 20mm hole in the center for the auto wiper option,for now im wiring it in but not fitting it unless i change screens,so it will be in the glove box if need be,the auto dim button fits nicely over the original button,so i bonded it on.

Few ours later...

[​IMG]

view from the rear..

[​IMG]

Next was the wiring,i took no shots sorry,but it soldered the blue/black wire into fuse 5 and gave it and earth,the reveres option i left off,the wiper wiring i wired into the back of the wiper relay and all done.

The original mirror sits higher than auto dim mirror,so the tube that runs the wires through needs to be trimmed down.

Before trimming.

[​IMG]

and after...

[​IMG]

Then just slot the mirror in place,connect the plug,fit covers and your all done.

[​IMG]

still need to order the lower trims so please ignore..

[​IMG]

So if i ever change the screen for an later auto dim mirror type all i have to do is pop the rain sensor in place,plug the wiring in and done....probably never happen lol

enjoy
  8. Cobra88

Cobra88 Active Member

My 2001 tdi 110 SE has an auto dimming mirror

works great
    no idea why it was std on mine as no other options apart from heated mirrors
  9. Davjon747

Davjon747 New Member

where can I locate fuse 5 if I'm right I understand there are 2 fuse box, I have just also found out tonight I have auto wipers , I new I had auto lights but went to get the car washed and as soon as the water hit the winder screen my wipers started so that's auto lights and wipers working but not auto rear view mirror. Any ideas ?
  10. AudiS3-Turbo

AudiS3-Turbo Member

they share the same fuse and its the fuse board on the side of the drivers side dash,i suspect the mirror is at fault if it has all its feeds?

edit,its fuse 8

Garage door operating unit -E284-
    Navigation system with CD drive control unit -J401-[SUP]1[/SUP]
    Parking aid control unit -J446-
    Garage door operation control unit -J530-
    Automatic anti-dazzle interior mirror -Y7-

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  11. Sam_

Sam_ Down under

12. Davjon747

Davjon747 New Member

No mine is totally different has a on/off button and a sensor at the bottom bellow the mirror in the middle, if that makes sense.