Anti theft system not working

goodguy

Reaction score
Hello...

I got myself a used 2010 A3 Sportback from a AUDI dealer few months ago, but unaware if the anti theft system really works there !

To check the alarm system:

Try 1:
- I locked the car with remote switch keeping the driver side window open, the LED in dash blinked 6-7 times rapidly (also does if window is closed) and started blinking in regular (slower) intervals afterwards. No surprise upto this point.
- After a 30 seconds wait I moved my hand and head through the open window, pulled the engine-cover-opener lever, and opened the boot. Alarm did not set off.

Try 2:
- Opened the properly locked car with key (no remote button) manually and did not turn the ignition on for more than 15 seconds, nothing happened (manual says the alarm should set off if such happens).

The manual also says there should be two buttons in the back of the driver side door to disable lift and ultrasonic motion sensor, but did not find it in my car.

Is the alarm out of order? Is my car not equipped with motion and lift sensors? Or am I missing something here?

Before running to the dealer, I am looking forward to get inputs from you guys.

Cheers... have a great day...

the motion button is on the edge as you open the door
not inside the door easy to miss.

Mine is a my2011 car and my manual has a single button. What I've noticed is I can't see a led light in the car to say the alarm is armed. Did they change the buttons and light on these cars? It's a black edition so def has an alarm

I don't have direct knowledge of Audi in Germany, but I know of other manufacturers who don't fit alarm systems as standard in some European Markets - so maybe alarm is an option (that you don't have)?

I don't have direct knowledge of Audi in Germany, but I know of other manufacturers who don't fit alarm systems as standard in some European Markets - so maybe alarm is an option (that you don't have)?

I just opened the window and put my arm in and the alarm went off. Not the loudest is it?! Weird there is no led to say it's active. Anyone got a pic of where this light should be. Sorry to go off topic op

Sorry - I was addressing the original post - I realise UK Audis have had alarms as std for some time.

I don't have a pic, but on my car (2005) there are two little pyramid type structures either side of the centre speaker in the top of the dash. The one on the driver's side contains the LED but it isn't very noticeable in daylight.

Sorry - I was addressing the original post - I realise UK Audis have had alarms as std for some time.

I don't have a pic, but on my car (2005) there are two little pyramid type structures either side of the centre speaker in the top of the dash. The one on the driver's side contains the LED but it isn't very noticeable in daylight.

Excellent, I'll have a look tonight. Was on the driver's door on my gti

the motion button is on the edge as you open the door
not inside the door easy to miss.
Right, that's on the edge and visible only when the door is open, mine has no button there.

Good point, in fact I think this is the reason my anti-theft doesn't work (because I don't have any). Never thought this could be an "extra" till I saw your reply, searched pointing this topic and found it in some German speaking forum where many people complained about the same thing. The red LED blinks anyway because otherwise it'd be stupid (and good for junkies).

I don't need this option where I live btw, but have to cancel my planned next month trip to Prague. Guess we'll use friend's civic.

Thanks everyone for your inputs...

Its possible your car didn't have interior monitoring fitted, what's your vin no. I can maybe see if its got these fitted in etka.

2010-ish cars changed from 2 buttons to a single button on back of the door.

I've known someone in Portugal or Spain who also had this same issue & it was the fact his car didn't have the systems fitted from factory, as this was that countries spec for that specific level of car, which I suspect yours is the same as his.