1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anti-corrosion warranty results - Please post here

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by bantam1, Jun 19, 2009.

1. bantam1

bantam1 Member

[Jun 19, 2009]
    Dear All,

Further to the "Rust on your roof" thread i would like to compile a list of members who have approached Audi for warranty work relating to the anti-corrosion warranty, along with the outcome. It seems that Audi's response to these Warranty claims is not standardised and that several members (including myself) are having seemingly valid claims rejected on an ad hoc basis e.g. the "it's been there too long" excuse.

There is quite obviously a design flaw in the roof rails of 8L A3s which audi are aware of. They should be honouring warranty claims relating to this, especially as it is one basis on which they sold these cars in the first place.

I intend to write to Watchdog and Trading standards detailing the refusal of perfectly legitimate claims. If members who have been through this process could post details in this thread then that would strengthen any case due to number of people affected.

So if you have approached audi with an anti-corrosion warranty issue (regardless of outcome) could you include the following details;

HOME TOWN; YEAR AND VEHICLE MODEL; DETAILS OF RUST FOUND; TIME TO WARRANTY CLAIM FROM FIRST NOTICING IT; HOW LONG YOU HAD OWNED THE VEHICLE AT THIS TIME; DEALER APPROACHED; OUTCOME (APPROVED, REFUSED), REASON FOR REFUSAL; DATE OF CLAIM

Also if members are willing could you PM me your real name and then i can include that in the letters? The more people who have been through this process and who take the time to post here, the stronger the case will be for those who have had claims refused, or who make claims in the future.

P.S. if you have photos of the affected areas can you keep them in case we do get anywhere with this and need photographic evidence.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 21, 2014]

3. bantam1

bantam1 Member

[Jun 19, 2009]
    I'll start;

Birmingham; 2000 S3; bubbling on roof rails on both sides; 2 weeks; 5 years; Birmingham Audi; Refused; "Rust has been there too long"; June 2009
  4. Dani_B19

Dani_B19 Audi-sports own special child.

[Jun 19, 2009]
    Im liking this thread, ive just discovered rust on the front drivers arch and underneath the door strips but i doubt ill get anything out of audi due to when i bought the car the passengers roof rail was bubbling and i had the garage do it but ive just noticed that in the valley theres alittle gap that runs along with it and i can see rust.
    Great.
    Going to phone audi up when i get the time and try and blag my way through, worth ago.
  5. Westy

Westy Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

[Jun 19, 2009]
    YEAR AND VEHICLE MODEL: 2002 S3

DETAILS OF RUST FOUND: Bubbling of the paint found on the outside of the passenger side roof rail. Rust hadn't broken through the paint.

TIME TO WARRANTY CLAIM FROM FIRST NOTICING IT: I went to see Audi the day after I noticed the bubbling.

HOW LONG YOU HAD OWNED THE VEHICLE AT THIS TIME: 2 months

DEALER APPROACHED: Hatfield Audi, Hertfordshire (Part of the M25 Audi Group)

OUTCOME (APPROVED, REFUSED), REASON FOR REFUSAL: Claim refused after Audi's approved body shop did paint tests. It turns out that the passenger side had been re-sprayed at some point by a previous owner. I had no paper work to backup the paint work done so I didn't know whether it had been done by an Audi approved bodyshop. I didn't have a leg to stand on.

DATE OF (attempted) CLAIM: January 2009
  6. bantam1

bantam1 Member

[Jun 19, 2009]
    cheers guys - keep it coming. If this thread generates enough of a response i will compile a letter and see where this gets us. Remember if you are OK with it PM me your real name (as will look better in a letter than a username).
  7. jcb

jcb Active Member VCDS Map User

[Jun 19, 2009]
    not an A3 but...
    1999 A4, corroded boot lock strip and rear door sail trims, 1-2months, 3 years, Edinburgh Audi, REFUSED (very bluntly!), reasons: car is too old, items regared as trim not body work, because he didn't like the look of my shoes
  8. Westy

Westy Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

[Jun 19, 2009]
    Someone else here (maybe Tim) had the boot trim on his S3 refused as it classes as trim and not bodywork.
  9. fingermouse

fingermouse thats me

[Jun 19, 2009]
    YEAR AND VEHICLE MODEL: 2002 S3

DETAILS OF RUST FOUND: Bubbling of the paint found on the outside of the passenger side roof rail. Rust hadn't broken through the paint.

TIME TO WARRANTY CLAIM FROM FIRST NOTICING IT: phoned straight away visited them 2 weeks later.

HOW LONG YOU HAD OWNED THE VEHICLE AT THIS TIME: almost 5 years
    DEALER APPROACHED: initially wakefield audi while having free mot but then had to go to area repair center which is vw huddersfield

OUTCOME (APPROVED, REFUSED), Approved left car with them the following week as I was away with work dropped off on a sat picked it up following sat. __________________
  10. Mike071288

Mike071288 Member

[Jun 19, 2009]
    YEAR AND VEHICLE MODEL: 1999 1.6 A3

DETAILS OF RUST FOUND: Bubbling on both roof rails.

TIME TO WARRANTY CLAIM FROM FIRST NOTICING IT: 1 week

HOW LONG YOU HAD OWNED THE VEHICLE AT THIS TIME: 2 weeks

DEALER APPROACHED: Chingford Audi

OUTCOME (APPROVED, REFUSED), REASON FOR REFUSAL: Refused, says it has been there too long without reporting it.
  11. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

[Jun 19, 2009]
    Birmingham Audi in Solihull? I had no problems getting my warranty claim through there, the guy was pretty helpful actually.

YEAR AND VEHICLE MODEL: 1999 S3 (Approx 52k miles at the time, and purchased as an Audi Approved car back on 2001 with 25k miles)

DETAILS OF RUST FOUND: Bubbling on both roof rails after reading posts on here.

HOW LONG YOU HAD OWNED THE VEHICLE AT THIS TIME: 6 Years?

DEALER APPROACHED: Birmingham Audi(Solihull)

OUTCOME: APPROVED - All fixed up including a complete rear quarter panel respray with good customer service, despite the car not having fAudiSH.
  12. bantam1

bantam1 Member

[Jun 19, 2009]
    sorry forgot to ask to put in when the request went in - have amended original post
    m19lte likes this.
  13. markyp2002

markyp2002 Member

[Jun 19, 2009]
    YEAR AND VEHICLE MODEL: 2000 S3 Quattro

DETAILS OF RUST FOUND: Bubbling on passenger roof rails.

HOW LONG YOU HAD OWNED THE VEHICLE AT THIS TIME: 7 months

DEALER APPROACHED: Sutton Coldfield Audi

OUTCOME (APPROVED, REFUSED), REASON FOR REFUSAL: Approved, took 5 days to respond after first reporting, accepted and is going in on the 26th June for the work to be done! Im on holiday for two weeks from then, but Audi offered to do it sooner if required, well pleased with the service! :rock:
  14. A3Tom

A3Tom Smell my finger.

[Jun 19, 2009]
    HOME TOWN - Solihull

YEAR AND VEHICLE MODE - 2000 A3 1.8T Sport

DETAILS OF RUST FOUND - Small paint blisters along both sides of roof trim above rear windows

TIME TO WARRANTY CLAIM FROM FIRST NOTICING IT - About 3 weeks after some research on the internet it went in to get looked at

HOW LONG YOU HAD OWNED THE VEHICLE AT THIS TIME - 6 months

DEALER APPROACHED - Birmingham Audi (Shirley, Solihull)

OUTCOME (APPROVED, REFUSED) - Approved following a report being sent to Audi HQ from the dealer. NO PAINT THICKNESS MEASURED...just a chap having a look at it in the workshop with me present. Took about 5 mintes for him to say "I'll call you when the report comes back".

REASON FOR REFUSAL - N/A

DATE OF CLAIM - August 2007 - took about a week to get approved and they had the car for about 10 days. It would have been quicker but the work from the bodyshop didnt get passed the dealers quality control so it was sent back to be done again. Very good job, great service.
  15. 1.8twes

1.8twes New Member

[Jun 19, 2009]
    HOME TOWN - London

YEAR AND VEHICLE MODE - 2000 A3 1.8T Sport

DETAILS OF RUST FOUND - Very minor paint blisters along both sides of roof trim

TIME TO WARRANTY CLAIM FROM FIRST NOTICING IT - About 5 months (didn't know I could claim until i found this website)

HOW LONG YOU HAD OWNED THE VEHICLE AT THIS TIME - 6 months

DEALER APPROACHED - Chingford Audi

OUTCOME (APPROVED, REFUSED) - Approved in 3-4 days following a report being sent to Audi HQ from the dealer.

REASON FOR REFUSAL - N/A

DATE OF CLAIM - 28 May 2009
  16. spiker

spiker usually growling at something

[Jun 19, 2009]
    Put claim in for rust on the NS roof rail

4 weeks later - no response from Audi

Chased them and it was booked in for 3 weeks ahead - claim approved

I collect it tomorrow - fingers crossed

2001 S3 225 80K
  17. voorhees

voorhees Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Jun 19, 2009]
    YEAR AND VEHICLE MODE -2002 S3

DETAILS OF RUST FOUND -barely visible by eye,bubbling to roof rails both sides

TIME TO WARRANTY CLAIM FROM FIRST NOTICING IT -straight away as I was at the Dealers bodyshop and they mentioned the flaw...which was nice

HOW LONG YOU HAD OWNED THE VEHICLE AT THIS TIME -2 and a half years

DEALER APPROACHED -Listers Audi in Coventry

OUTCOME (APPROVED, REFUSED) -Approved,roof rails dug out and replaced and resprayed

DATE OF CLAIM -28th June 2008
  18. Boro&Beth

Boro&Beth Member

[Jun 19, 2009]
    HOME TOWN -

YEAR AND VEHICLE MODE -

DETAILS OF RUST FOUND -

TIME TO WARRANTY CLAIM FROM FIRST NOTICING IT -

HOW LONG YOU HAD OWNED THE VEHICLE AT THIS TIME -

DEALER APPROACHED -

OUTCOME (APPROVED, REFUSED) -

REASON FOR REFUSAL -

DATE OF CLAIM -

---------------------------------------------

Use the above as a template. Might be an idea to add the template to the original post.

ALSO, it might be worth seeing any pictures of rust that has been refused AND/OR accepted so that we know what is or isnt acceptable to Audi.
  19. Boro&Beth

Boro&Beth Member

[Jun 19, 2009]
    HOME TOWN - Truro, Cornwall

YEAR AND VEHICLE MODE - 2000 S3

DETAILS OF RUST FOUND - Roof rail, bottom of rear quarter panel infront of rear wheel

TIME TO WARRANTY CLAIM FROM FIRST NOTICING IT - 1 week

HOW LONG YOU HAD OWNED THE VEHICLE AT THIS TIME - 2 weeks

DEALER APPROACHED - Carrs Truro

OUTCOME (APPROVED, REFUSED) - No decision made yet

REASON FOR REFUSAL - TBA

DATE OF CLAIM -12/6/09
  20. jimbobery

jimbobery S3

[Jun 19, 2009]
    HOME TOWN - Northampton

YEAR AND VEHICLE MODE - 01 S3

DETAILS OF RUST FOUND - Passenger roof rail

TIME TO WARRANTY CLAIM FROM FIRST NOTICING IT - 2 months, Nov 08 to Jan 09, but left it that long because of a busy xmas. Dealer didn't ask how long I knew about it though

HOW LONG YOU HAD OWNED THE VEHICLE AT THIS TIME - 9 months

DEALER APPROACHED - Audi Northampton

OUTCOME (APPROVED, REFUSED) - Approved

REASON FOR REFUSAL -

DATE OF CLAIM - Jan 09

... but the work went to Audi's approved body shop Castle Coachworks in Northampton and they did a thoroughly **** job. The work they did on the roof was fine, and they re-lacquered both the rear quarters to the bottom so it all matched. This was fine except that under the side strip on the rear quarters they hadn't rubbed off all the water marks from where they'd cleaned it before they lacquered it, so I've got dirty water marks under the lacquer!!!!
    I didn't noticed when I signed for the work because I was mainly looking at the roof but also it didn't come back cleaned and had been in the rain so I doubt I'd have spotted it anyway. Now when I clean the car both these areas on the rear quarters look like I missed them when cleaning!

If you are lucky enough to get your claim approved make sure they do a good job before you sign!

I haven't gone back to Audi yet so they might get it sorted if I claim but the work was done Jan/Feb 09 and I only noticed in May. To be fair the dealer was very helpful and accommodating, its just their ‘approved’ bodyshop seem very unprofessional.

I'm not too gutted as I was having bumpers and bonnet done at my friends bodyshop anyway (mates rates), so now I'm having the whole car except the roof done, but would be gutted if I didn't have this option and was stuck with it or having to pay full price to get it sorted; the half washed look isn't good!
  21. cjhill

cjhill hmmmmm interesting.

[Jun 20, 2009]
    HOME TOWN - Poole

YEAR AND VEHICLE MODE - 2001 S3

DETAILS OF RUST FOUND - Passenger roof rail (both sides)

TIME TO WARRANTY CLAIM FROM FIRST NOTICING IT - About 6 months

HOW LONG YOU HAD OWNED THE VEHICLE AT THIS TIME - 3 years

DEALER APPROACHED - Audi Poole

REASON FOR REFUSAL -

DATE OF CLAIM - 2006, 2007 and 2009

Initially the first person at the dealer said there i nothing they can do. I asked for a second opinion and that resulted in 'yeh no problem - we see this all the time, go to our approved body repair people'. They sent an 'audi paint guy' out who took one look and booked the car in the for work.

Had to have both sides done again due to return of the bubbling - but i suspect thats just bad luck / poor first repair rather than directly related to the above thread. They have put i right now though.

Minimal effort to get it all sorted though.
  22. Sandip

Sandip Well-Known Member

[Jun 20, 2009]
    HOME TOWN - Greater Manchester

YEAR AND VEHICLE MODE - 01 S3, Nogaro Blue

DETAILS OF RUST FOUND - Passenger roof rail

TIME TO WARRANTY CLAIM FROM FIRST NOTICING IT - 2 months

HOW LONG YOU HAD OWNED THE VEHICLE AT THIS TIME - 3 months

DEALER APPROACHED - Smith Knight Fay vw/audi Bolton

OUTCOME (APPROVED, REFUSED) - Refused

REASON FOR REFUSAL -Said the warranty is for perforation not for surface bubbling, told me the car may of had a roof rack :think:

DATE OF CLAIM -
  23. Nutty

Nutty New Member

[Jun 20, 2009]
    YEAR AND VEHICLE MODEL: 52 a3 1.8t
    DETAILS OF RUST FOUND: Bubbling on o/s roof rail.
    TIME TO WARRANTY CLAIM FROM FIRST NOTICING IT: 1 month
    HOW LONG YOU HAD OWNED THE VEHICLE AT THIS TIME: 6 weeks
    DEALER APPROACHED: Tonbridge Audi
    OUTCOME (APPROVED, REFUSED), APPROVED
    REASON FOR REFUSALte: N/A

Great service, they lent me a new a3 1.9tdi (lovely car) I had the car 7 days but they waived 2 days of the insurance excess reducer cost, as there was a problem at the garage. Very happy.
  24. 666markyboy

666markyboy Well-Known Member

[Jun 20, 2009]
    YEAR AND VEHICLE MODEL: 1999 A3 Turbo Quattro Sport

DETAILS OF RUST FOUND: Very slightBubbling on passenger roof rails & bttm of both doors

TIME TO WARRANTY CLAIM FROM FIRST NOTICING IT: 2 weeks

HOW LONG YOU HAD OWNED THE VEHICLE AT THIS TIME: 7 months

DEALER APPROACHED: Stockport Audi and then again at Manchester Audi

OUTCOME (APPROVED, REFUSED), REASON FOR REFUSAL: Refused i guess as they never got back in touch, either of them, Manchester said it would get refused because i did not have a full Audi Service History, they said it came under duty of care by the owner...
  25. bpascua

bpascua Member

[Jun 22, 2009]
    YEAR AND VEHICLE MODEL: 2001 S3

DETAILS OF RUST FOUND: Very slight Bubbling on passenger roof rail

TIME TO WARRANTY CLAIM FROM FIRST NOTICING IT: 1 weeks

HOW LONG YOU HAD OWNED THE VEHICLE AT THIS TIME: 17 months

DEALER APPROACHED: Reading Audi

OUTCOME (APPROVED, REFUSED), Approved roof was never paint tested only photographed, car was pretty much resprayed by the time the additional work I wanted was done (bumpers sprayed and tail gate) I'm very pleased.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  26. markyR

markyR Member

[Jun 22, 2009]
    YEAR AND VEHICLE MODEL: 1998 a3 1.8t

DETAILS OF RUST FOUND: Bubbling of rust on both roof rails

TIME TO WARRANTY CLAIM FROM FIRST NOTICING IT: 1 weeks

HOW LONG YOU HAD OWNED THE VEHICLE AT THIS TIME: 1 month

DEALER APPROACHED: Bristol Audi

OUTCOME (APPROVED, REFUSED), Refused, rust was not reported when it 1st appeared.
  27. jojo

[Jun 22, 2009]
    Thought I'd add some pics from my car.

Bubbling edge.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Resprayed roof on the day of pick up(Don't have any close ups - sorry)
    [​IMG]
  28. bantam1

bantam1 Member

[Jun 22, 2009]
    Cheers JoJo - totally infuriating though as mine is nowhere near as bad as that and has been rejected as "there too long"!!

I will let this thread grow for 2-3 weeks before compiling results and formulating a plan of action.

Thanks to all for contributions.
  29. Boro&Beth

Boro&Beth Member

[Jun 23, 2009]
    We'll be ringing Audi tomorrow to get the latest on our claim. Weve since found more rust on the other side now, so if they decline, we'll get them to take pics of that too. Make them work for their money.
  30. Mike071288

Mike071288 Member

[Jun 23, 2009]
    Sounds like a good idea mate, i wish you the best of luck, but i think i have given up with audi, think im going to just take my car to a body shop.

But let us know how you battle with them goes.
  31. Typhoon

Typhoon New Member

[Jun 23, 2009]
    Had a rust issue in both my roof rails at the rear end. Took the vehicle to my Audi dealer, they informed Audi South Africa and arranged a date to inspect my car and see if it was not in a accident. When they were happy that it was not they approved the claim on the paint and repaired my roof on there warranty.

My car : A3 1999
    Date fixed : 2007
  32. Whorpheus

Whorpheus Member

[Jun 23, 2009]
    YEAR AND VEHICLE MODE - 2001 A3, 1.9 TDi

DETAILS OF RUST FOUND - Light bubbling under paint (2cm long) Passenger side.

TIME TO WARRANTY CLAIM FROM FIRST NOTICING IT - 1 Week

HOW LONG YOU HAD OWNED THE VEHICLE AT THIS TIME - 3 Year's

DEALER APPROACHED - Bristol Audi

OUTCOME (APPROVED, REFUSED) - Been told its likely to be refused, told to go back for second oppinion.

REASON FOR REFUSAL - Small patch of lower rear quater has had a respray, even though the affected area is original paint. Apparently the complete panel must have original paint.
  33. benh999

benh999 Member

[Jun 24, 2009]
    HOME TOWN - Rugby

YEAR AND VEHICLE MODE - 2000 x S3

DETAILS OF RUST FOUND - driver side roof rail rust

HOW LONG YOU HAD OWNED THE VEHICLE AT THIS TIME - 4 weeks

DEALER APPROACHED - Listers Coventry

OUTCOME (APPROVED, REFUSED) - REFUSED

REASON FOR REFUSAL - Said rust had been there too long

DATE OF CLAIM - June 2009
  34. Kryten

Kryten New Member

[Jun 26, 2009]
    Sorry but how the fck can the rust be there too long? How can they prove this, what equates 'too long' :(
    Im off this weekend to make a claim on the bubbles on my offside drivers door (near lower trim) wish me luck! (will post back results in correct form).
  35. jojo

[Jun 26, 2009]
    I have to say I was optimistic about my warranty claim, I had the whole right hand side of my car resprayed in the past, and told the warranty guy about it also. I said if it was going to be a problem, I will just get it fixed myself, but to my suprise, they put it through!
  36. jojo

[Jun 26, 2009]
    I doubt very much you will get a warranty claim for that part of the car, have a read HERE.
  37. s3 Hoggy

s3 Hoggy Whats going on???

[Jun 26, 2009]
    HOME TOWN - Oxford

YEAR AND VEHICLE MODE - 02 s3

DETAILS OF RUST FOUND - Passenger roof rail, they treated and spayed both sides

HOW LONG YOU HAD OWNED THE VEHICLE AT THIS TIME - 3 months

DEALER APPROACHED - Audi Newbury

REASON FOR REFUSAL -

DATE OF CLAIM - May 09

...Went to ridgeway vag group bodyshop, picked my car up and there was a slight dent in the drivers door, they tried telling me that it must have been there before it went in for the work! I was not happy as I knew there was no dents or dings anywhere on my car. After quite a heated discussion with the manager he backed down and said they would fix it-as if they were doing me a favour! but when i eventualy did get it back it was spot on, had both rear quarters and doors and front wings re-spayed to blend in. They told me they had to do the extra work as the new lacker makes the paint look more blue- anybody else heard this?:think:

Happy now anyway thanks to the original thread for bringing it to my attention,

Cheers Matt
  38. Effect

Effect Member

[Jun 26, 2009]
    HOME TOWN: Ashbourne
    YEAR AND VEHICLE MODEL: Audi S3 'Y Reg' 2001
    DETAILS OF RUST FOUND: Rust on gutter rails on roof (usual place)
    TIME TO WARRANTY CLAIM FROM FIRST NOTICING IT: not 100% sure on this, was a while but was never a factor when I approached Audi
    HOW LONG YOU HAD OWNED THE VEHICLE AT THIS TIME: 2 Years
    DEALER APPROACHED: Audi Derby
    OUTCOME (APPROVED, REFUSED),Approved
    REASON FOR REFUSAL:N/A
    DATE OF CLAIM: Not 100% sure, was a couple of weeks before it went into Audi which was the start of this week, 22/06/09

I originally approached audi a couple of weeks ago, a guy came out and took pictures of the bubbling, then I got a call to say the work had been approved I took it in last Saturday, was given an A4 estate courtesy car which they sold whilst I still had it so drove 40 miles to where I work to change it for an A3, they then rang me today and gave me the option of having my car delivered to me (again 40 miles from them) which they have.
    I am no paint expert but it looks like a very very godo job.
    I know they have resprayed the entire roof and some if not all of the rear quarters.
    Worth noting that at no point was a paint gauge mentioned.

Regards
    James
  39. kip

kip Member

[Jun 27, 2009]
    Have noticed that the warrenty work done last year to my roof has started to show small bubbles again!. Have been back today and the bloke will submit a claim to audi and will let me know the outcome soon. I think others who have had this work done should look closely again for any recurrence. Rust is like cancer and very hard to get rid off.
  40. dan-quattro

dan-quattro Member

[Jun 28, 2009]
    I approached Stafford Audi with a rusty boot, where the rubber seal sits between the bottom of the glass and the boot.

They photographed it and within 1 week I was called and told it had been approved and a week later the boot was replaced at Swansway in Crewe, and they even collected the car and delivered it back to me :)

The car is 7 years old. They did however ask to see my service stamps and they had to photocopy hese to fax to Audi to begin the claim. Apparently I was told they had to all be Audi stamps and if they weren't then the claim could well be thrown out. Of my stamps only 1 wasn't an Audi one.
  41. scott_johnson

scott_johnson Audiless

[Jun 29, 2009]
    Has anybody got the criteria for the warranty?... i.e if it states how long you can leave it before claiming?

I have nearside and offside rear quaters rusted and nearside roof rails. Theyve accepted offside but refused nearside as it wasnt spotted soon enough, but was spotted at the same time as the offside!!

Then they made up some bull sh*t that the area was too small to do which contredicts there approval on the offside as thats an even smaller area!! There fobbing me off every way possible so have sent an email to customer services!!

AUDIS REALLY DOING MY FU*KING HEAD IN!!!

SJ