Anthracite STANDARD wheels on black A3/S3?

Drysdale

Reaction score
Anyone got a photoshop or photo of an A3 or S3 (pref S3) with anthracite STANDARD 17" wheels?

Thinking of having mine powdercoated.

Not sure if it would really help but I have a pic of my old old black 106 on Anthracite wheels, which would give an idea I suppose......???? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Not of the standard Avus's, but I'm sure if you do a search there are some of the RSTT's in athracite. I toyed with the idea of painting my RSTT's a while back, (still may do it in the future) and someone did a photshop for me.

My only concern in painting the wheels was that I quite like the way the wheels compliment the alu mirrors. If the wheels arn't silver will the mirrors look out of place?

OMG how Gay does that sound
[ QUOTE ]
I quite like the way the wheels compliment the alu mirrors.

[/ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

[ QUOTE ]
r88per said:
OMG how Gay does that sound
[ QUOTE ]
I quite like the way the wheels compliment the alu mirrors.

[/ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not Gay, just Metrosexual /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

lol ^^^^

I'm considering posting a pic of me in shorts to get a few more replies (tanya's avatar in the other thread with her in a skirt seemed to do the trick).

Only kidding. How much would a set of Avus's with good tyres cost me nowadays? Secondly how much would powdercoating cost? I've heard anything from $50 to $300.

Looks like not many people have done it then, which is why I must! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Standard Avus alloys tend to go from £200 min to £400 max. All depending on tyres and condition of rims. I'd buy a knackered (really scuffed, kerbed etc) set off ebay if I was you, especially if your going to powdercoat them.

re: the cost of powdecoating, there is a company local to me, in stockton, called Romax who charge £50 a rim.

Thanks, glad I won't be paying mega bucks for them. You might soon see an A3 rolling around on anthracite avus's on here soon then.

I'm quite keen on having my spoke reveals powdercoated to get cleaning down to a quarterly event /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue_out.gif

Not sure if it would suit RS6's though?

I think RS6s would look great, as would RS4s. Im just not sure about my Avus's! (perhaps why not many have been done.)

Just got a quote of £140 to powdercoat all four wheels in anthracite. May go for that.

[ QUOTE ]
Drysdale said:
I think RS6s would look great, as would RS4s. Im just not sure about my Avus's! (perhaps why not many have been done.)

Just got a quote of £140 to powdercoat all four wheels in anthracite. May go for that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you talking about p/coating the entire wheel?

Silly question, but how do they change the colour of the centre caps? They are plastic so can't be powder coated - correct?

Just get the centres sprayed the same colour!

Doesn't look too bad! I'm sure with this weather most wheels look like this at present /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rich.

I prefer the white wheels. maybe have something to do from my time down south and essex ladies in white stilletoes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have the chrome mirrors too which stops me doing either mod as i think the standard wheels look better with the mirrors.

I have factory anthracite wheels on mine at the mo. Not 17" obviously, but hey.

A3_04.jpg

Looks good in the S3 pic IMO.

As I said I would here it is my old old pug 106 with 15" anthracite wheels on.

id prefer without any hesitation these though.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

Those Chrome center caps really ruins the black wheel look, prefer the Sportec wheels anyday. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

The chrome centre caps on the black wheels look crap imo.

Those sportechs are /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

The 1st pic of Paul's car with the lightly darked RS4s looks good. Most of the others look like the wheels haven't been washed.

There must be a way of keeping the rim silver though - as this is my preference. Porsche manage it on some of their one piece wheels.

Easier with split rims though...

U mean diamond cutting? Or do you mean the inner rim behind the spokes?

So my effort wasn't 'all that' then? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I also prefer the outside edge of the rims silver Dave, however there's not much rim to leave silver on the RSTT's.

I've been thinking of getting them painted for a while now. They've kissed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/love_4.gif a few kerbs in their life, so could do with a refurb. I can get them painted for £0.00 which also helps my quest.

The dilema has always been whether to risk painting them and losing the high silver finish of the factory look, by painting them just ordinary silver, (if that makes sense). Or say feck it completely and go the anthracite look, along with a good few coats of laquer to kepp some shineyness to them, so they dont just look filthy. With also laquering the other bits of anthracite also on the car, sill strips, bumper inserts etc.

Dilemas eh!

Anyone got any opinions?

I personally don't like the look of Anthracite wheels on the S3. Chrome wheels are part of the look, much like the chrome mirrors, they add a bit of class to the car. Take them away and the car starts to loose some of it's status.

I think on cars like the scooby STi or Evo's, Anthracite wheels like fine, especially if replacing the standard 'gold' wheels of the STi /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Good luck either way though.

When i get my black/ming blue S3 in the summer i will be purchasing some Technomagnisia Detroit 19" alloys, these are made by the same company that make the wheels for Sportec, ie Mim wheels, and are almost exactly the same style as the Sportecs above. They will then be professionally refurbished into anthracite with a diamond cut rim ..... the same colour scheme as my previous Speedline Chronos on my 106 gti and current Speedline Turinis on my 306 Rallye ....

2226_my_baby-rally.jpg

2226_new_wheels3.jpg

my only concern wouuld be that these wheels look great new but after hitting a few potholes (harder to avoid than kerbs) because what is beneath the surface is more of a contract in colour, they would look shabby quicker?

Can you confirm or deny?

Cheers

Confirmed soldier. The metal underneath will show through and will contrast much more than silver painted/lacquered wheels.