1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another xenon headlight question

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by bazil, Jan 24, 2012.

1. bazil

bazil BOOM BOOM

Sorry for dragging this subject up again.

I'm looking for a simple answer, are facelift S3 xenon headlight better in terms if beam pattern and brightness over pre facelift S3 xenons?

I have a 2000 pre-facelift and I'm finding the lights very poor now, Philips 4300k bulbs fitted now but I tried 5000k and 6000k but found them to be poor.

So is the facelift S3 headlight unit better or should I just upgrade to 55w bulbs?

( I have searched and saw the threads on fitting and wiring so I have the answers for that thanks )
  2. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid

I think both pre and facelift are pretty piss poor imo...
  3. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator

If its the same as the B5, they both use the same Valeo projector unit.

Its not the best projector out there but it should perform acceptably. Perhaps the projector lens is dirty? Or maybe the autolevelling is broken and its put the lights into safety mode (pointing at the floor about 3ft in front of the car)

I've been looking into doing a bi-xenon conversion on mine, using some Bi-Xenon FX-R projectors from TRS in the states. Will probably take a bit of messing to get it right though.
  4. NHN

NHN Modmetractor Site Sponsor

You need to make sure the levelling system is set correct & motors are functioning 100% as they're known to develop faults.
  5. burns3

burns3 Member

Might be a stupid question but how do u check if the auto levelling system working correctly cos my lights are rubbish too
  6. NHN

You need vcds to set the mot mode then adjust them manually on a flat bay with mot lense, then disable mot mode, any weight in the boot will make them lower & thus weight removed will adjust higher, you may also want to check your axle sensors as these have a tendency to get broken by garages who dont unbolt them when doing suspension etc work that can snap the arms.
  7. aragorn

VCDS scan for fault codes on the Range control unit would be the first step to checking if they're working.
  8. NHN

TBH that goes without saying mate, as it should pop up automatically any errors on the controller before any adaptions or coding are done, but yes I agree its something to check.
  9. bazil

bazil BOOM BOOM

Thanks for the replies. The range on the lights is fine is just they seem very poor quality of light. It could just be they seem outdated now compared with bi-xenon. I'll save my money and not bother with facelift lights.

The next thing I'll need to find out is if the D2S Phillips bulbs can run at 55w, I'm thinking both ballast and bulb upgrade?
  10. aragorn

Bi-Xenon just gives you HID main beam, it shouldnt effect the "quality" of the dip beam.

I'd look at a clear lens mod which should help improve output.
  11. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid

How will bi-xenon work when you flash somebody, as they take a good few seconds to go bright?:think:
  12. NHN

Its always 1 bulb mate with the lense attached via a motor that moves the lense to move the beam as such, so its not 2 beams.
  13. aragorn

Yeh, if you look inside your standard projector you'll see theres a metal shutter across the inside which is what creates the sharp cutoff line you see when you shine the lights against a wall or whatever.

Bi-Xenon units have a solenoid connected to the shutter, and when you flick the main beam on the solenoid retracts the shutter and opens up the whole beam.
  14. bazil

bazil BOOM BOOM

Everyday is a school day :)

I'll pull out the lights and give them a good clean up, maybe book an eye test aswell to make sure I'm not the problem
  15. S3 rpm

S3 rpm Member

Hi mate sorry to hijack myself in but axle sensors,where abouts are they? I noticed when doing my r32 anti roll bar that something was broken it looks like a very small drop link?plastic I think? Do these sit on the wishbone and fix onto a sensor fixed above it? Are there 4 of them around the car?

Cheers bud