ANOTHER suspension thread.

Effect

Reaction score
I have a pretty much standard 2001 S3 with 95k on the clock and I find the suspension crashy and harsh, it seems to thrash ME for every single little imperfection in the road and it gets tiresome on longer journeys.

I would like some new suspension (struts and springs) I would like to achieve two things

1 - make the car a little bit lower (bearing in mind its probably sat lower than when new anyway due to worn out springs/dampers)
2 - make it more comfortable to drive

Suggestions please. :)

Koni FSD's with springs? Handling is transformed and it isn't too hard. Doesn't crash over bumps and pot holes

I used r32 oem bilstien dampers on mine with H+R lowering springs. Rides great , not to stiff and doesnt crash and bump all over the road. I got my shocks for 70 quid second hand off ebay, so can be a very a cheap upgrade!

mbs3 said:
I used r32 oem bilstien dampers on mine with H+R lowering springs. Rides great , not to stiff and doesnt crash and bump all over the road. I got my shocks for 70 quid second hand off ebay, so can be a very a cheap upgrade!

strange as a std R32 can be quite hard.

Yeah there a touch harder than the after market bilstien set up for the s3, as i compared the rear shocks against each other and the r32 shock was stiffer. On the road it works well, and still a very comfy ride, better than standard ride quality in my opinion.

my only concern is that i really dont want it harsher than standard as i feel it is harsh enough already.

I have been spoilt with a boat of a mondeo that i had before which just soaked up everything :)

[EDIT]
Also forgot to ask how low can you go before you need to get the adjustable rear tie bars as well.

Effect said:
Also forgot to ask how low can you go before you need to get the adjustable rear tie bars as well.

About 10mm I think. My FSD's and Eibach springs currently don't require tie bars.

Aky said:
About 10mm I think. My FSD's and Eibach springs currently don't require tie bars.

That's probably about right...
the optional 20mm lower suspension on the late cars wear the inside edges, so 10mm is probably about the limit.