1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ANOTHER suspension thread.

Effect Dec 5, 2007

1. Effect

Effect Member

I have a pretty much standard 2001 S3 with 95k on the clock and I find the suspension crashy and harsh, it seems to thrash ME for every single little imperfection in the road and it gets tiresome on longer journeys.

I would like some new suspension (struts and springs) I would like to achieve two things

1 - make the car a little bit lower (bearing in mind its probably sat lower than when new anyway due to worn out springs/dampers)
    2 - make it more comfortable to drive

Suggestions please. :)

2. DPM

DPM Site Sponsor Site Sponsor

The classic response, H&R springs with Bilstein B8 dampers.

3. Aky

Aky Aky

Koni FSD's with springs? Handling is transformed and it isn't too hard. Doesn't crash over bumps and pot holes

4. mbs3

mbs3 Member

I used r32 oem bilstien dampers on mine with H+R lowering springs. Rides great , not to stiff and doesnt crash and bump all over the road. I got my shocks for 70 quid second hand off ebay, so can be a very a cheap upgrade!

5. fingermouse

fingermouse thats me

strange as a std R32 can be quite hard.

6. mbs3

mbs3 Member

Yeah there a touch harder than the after market bilstien set up for the s3, as i compared the rear shocks against each other and the r32 shock was stiffer. On the road it works well, and still a very comfy ride, better than standard ride quality in my opinion.

7. Effect

Effect Member

my only concern is that i really dont want it harsher than standard as i feel it is harsh enough already.

I have been spoilt with a boat of a mondeo that i had before which just soaked up everything :)

[EDIT]
    Also forgot to ask how low can you go before you need to get the adjustable rear tie bars as well.

8. Aky

Aky Aky

About 10mm I think. My FSD's and Eibach springs currently don't require tie bars.

9. Ess_Three

Ess_Three Active Member

That's probably about right...
    the optional 20mm lower suspension on the late cars wear the inside edges, so 10mm is probably about the limit.