Another steering problem

audiv8quattro

Reaction score
Hi in December 2010 I had a problem with my power steering pump so replaced it with a new one. Now the other day I was driving round a roundabout and steering went really stiff (scared me a bit) and the pump started making a really loud sort of grinding noise, getting louder when I turned the wheel either way, the haven't driven the car since, noise is still there but when I leave the car running for a while the power steering fluid overflows through the cap and is like a yellow kind of colour, the noise is definatly coming from the pump there's no mistaking that but do you think there could be a blockage somewhere along the line or could be something to do with the steering rack?? I took the pump apart last night and it's not running dry at all there was plenty of fluid in the pump. Please help it's driving me mad. Cheers

I've never delt with power steering or pumps.
apart from removing from cars.

I don't even know if this is possible but can you take a pipe off one side of the pump or rack and see if fluid it passing through?

If the fluid is over flowing after a few mins suggests to me that the pump is working but its just pumping fluid back on its self and causing the bot to over flow or the fluid is not going in to the rack so causing the over flow, taking fluid out of the rack but not back in.

Cheers Scott, when I put it all back together I had exactly your thought in mind I didn't connect the pipe that leads to the rack and turned the pulley by hand (as if to prime it) and fluid flowed through the pump but didn't overflow if that makes sense, it flowed enough to just about see the fluid in the hole where the fluid comes out but no higher. If it was something to do with the rack would all the noise be coming from the pump still or would the rack itself be making a noise aswell, thanks again scott

If it were a blockage the pump would probably be operating against its pressure relief valve, which may well make a racket. It will also cause the fluid to get very hot, which in turn will cause it to boil, which is probably why you were seeing it coming out of the cap.

Cheers aragorn right when it stops snowing (****** snow) I'm shooting outside to take all pipes of on clean them up check for blockages ect hopefully this will be the case as I can do without the expense of a new pump/rack ect