1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another S3 from down south

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Scorpius, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Scorpius

Scorpius The S Factor

Hey guys

Been browsing and lurking around this forum for the last couple months even before I got my S3. Has been ultra-helpful and informative and decided to finally register and post up. Notice a couple of my buddies here from South Africa also. And here's pics of my white S3 down here in Joburg. Still very stock for now but I've swapped out the standard rims for 19" S5 reps. Revo and much more to come soon ;)

Cheers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. redbutcher

redbutcher Member

Very nice :thumbsup:

The rims suit the car perfectly - oh and welcome to the forum :sm4:
  3. mitch78

mitch78 Active Member

:thumbsup:
  4. Kontraband

Kontraband Active Member

yeah nice rims.

I was gonna moan about ANOTHER ibis, but as your in SA I guess its all good! ;)

:sign_welcome:

Oh, and get shut of the yellow DRL's. ;)
  5. Nutkins

Nutkins Member

The effects on those last couple of Pics look awsome!
  6. S3 LTN

S3 LTN Guest

Welcome Scorpius

Looks nice mate... Very nice. :o.k: Enjoy.
  7. Scorpius

Scorpius The S Factor

Thanks for the welcome and comments guys!

@Kontraband.. lol yeah would like to change the bulbs but the yellow DRL's dont really bother me much so its not high up on priority on my list of mods-to-do

@Nutkins.. thanks! That was my first ever experiment with HDR and tonemapping and in a highly novice and cheap way. Used a simple Sony point-and-shoot digicam. Also no tripod so I had to try to keep my hands as steady while changing exposure between pics so the final effect is actually blurry. Havent tried again since though
  8. marriedblonde

marriedblonde Moderator

Welcome to the forum, car looks spot on :)

J.
  9. JohnS3

JohnS3 Active Member

Nice wheels, who makes those then?
  10. Scorpius

Scorpius The S Factor

Thanks!
    @JohnS3.. good question i.ow. I dont know lol. Got them from a local wheel dealer who had just imported the first set down to SA. I'll ask the owner when I visit them again
  11. Staz

Staz is a retronaut Staff Member Moderator

Welcome Scorpius!

What're HDR and Tonemapping? Tell it to me like I'm a 5 year old please because it's an awesome effect. Got some 'holiday' pics I'd like to try that on.
  12. WillsNogaroTT

WillsNogaroTT B cool, B safe, B foolish

Welcome Scorpius and enjoy.
    Loving the car bud and be intrested also to hear about those effects. looks like fun to me
  13. Scorpius

Scorpius The S Factor

Oh sorry. Thought you guys knew about it. All the rage on the Golfmkvgti forums and frankly at times overdone and overplayed.

HDR = high dynamic range. You basically take several photos of the same scene with varying exposure or brightness and combine them with HDR software into an image with a greater range of contrast and light. So you cant apply them to pics you've already taken as you need a few pics of the same scene at different exposures.
    Heres a great resource to learn more about it.
    http://www.hdrsoft.com/resources/dri.html

Its very detailed and technical of which 99% I dont even pretend to understand. As I said, my approach was very simplistic. Point-and-shoot camera. Took just 3 pics (I think this about the minimum you should take for HDR). On the digicam the exposure levels is -2,-1,0,1,2. I took the first pic at -2 EV. Second pic changed to 0 and then took the 3rd pic at +2 ev.

Use Photomatix software to open the 3 images and it combines it into a HDR image which wasnt all impressive on its own. Then in Photomatix again, I choose the tonemapping that adjusts the effect and colours, etc etc. No scientific method here, I just played with all the settings in tonemapping and then you come with this. The light smoothing option makes the most difference. The lowest setting gives an unrealistic but very cool cartoony almost video-game like image while the higher you go gives a more subtle and real effect. You'd get best results with a good camera that can automatically step between different exposure and take a burst of pics like this on a tripod to keep the pics all aligned.

Here was my inspiration for trying out HDR. This guys HDR pics are mindblowing!
    http://www.arinahnell.com/photos/20080101/
  14. Staz

Staz is a retronaut Staff Member Moderator

Stunning:
    [​IMG]

Are there any free bits of software that do the same?
  15. Cartén

Cartén Audi S3 - 2008

Suits the car extremly well i think!! I´m realy interested to by them aswell. I would be very grateful if you could talk to your dealer and ask him where they come from.

/ Marcus
  16. N8

N8 Kowalski Details

Can I ask bro. What ET do you have on your wheels? Look very nice though :friends:
  17. Big A

Big A Member

Your S3 looks stunning. Think white is one of the best colours on it. The S5 wheels really suit it well too.