Another RNS E Nav question

czm

Reaction score
I am wanting to convert from my single head unit in my A4 2004 Avant to an Audi RSN E NAv unit.

Please could somebody point me in the right direction as to which Audi OEM unit I should be look at getting?

Thanks

Any RNS-E will work, the only issue is the faceplate, but these are changeable, so you could buy a S3 one and put and A4 faceplate on it….. personally I would go for one of the later MK2 models, part number ends 193 rather than 192…..

Before you start, be aware (you may already know) that you need to change your centre console to accept a double-din head unit like the RNS-E. For this you need to remove the center console entirely so that you can remove the metal single-din holder and replace it with the double-din one.

Before you start, be aware (you may already know) that you need to change your centre console to accept a double-din head unit like the RNS-E. For this you need to remove the center console entirely so that you can remove the metal single-din holder and replace it with the double-din one.
And you'll have to trim the edges of the climate control panel as it sits lower down when you have the double DIN.

Wow, sounds like a pain and not plug and play like my mk5 golf that I changed

I'm lead to believe its fairly straight forward (I hope it is as I'm doing the double din conversion shortly) however as mentioned above you will need a double din cage and either double din heater controls or trim down your existing plus full centre console out! Lots of threads on here if you do a quick search!

Good point Dave, I think I just the trim behind the ashtray down too?

p1tse - I used a Haynes manual for the center console removal, very detailed and took about an hour... being careful. It doesn't take too long. But yes, much more difficult than the MkV!

I did the double in conversion a little while back. I bought a double DIN climate control unit but ended up just using it to make a template and cut the original one down to size. The double DIN climate units don't have the metal bottom edge that the single DIN ones have, and this metal bit is a pain to cut. The whole lot needs filing/sanding down smooth, especially the metal edge or you'll scratch your centre console when reinstalling it.

The centre console has to come out as that needs to be cut so it aligns to the double DIN cage correctly. There's a comparison of the single and double DIN consoles here: A4 Centre Console DIN variations | Matt Easom

Also the ashtrays are different, and I never actually seen this documented anywhere before. The double DIN ashtray has a vertical folding flap that covers the 10mm gap between the base of the climate unit and the back of the ashtray.

For the single DIN configuration Audi put a plastic base that fits behind the ashtray to create a little cubby hole under your climate unit. You can either cut this plastic base down to fit what will be your DIY double DIN console, or throw it somewhere in the shed and find a double DIN ashtray.

I didn't go for an RNS-E, I just put a concert III unit in but I found it took a LOT of force to get it to slide down the slots on the cage. I had thought I had cables in the way behind, but no, there were small metal guides on the side of the radio that seemed to be a little fat for the slots in the cage. Nothing a considerable amount of brute force couldn't fix.

Couldn't be happier with the result though...

Wow, sounds like a pain and not plug and play like my mk5 golf that I changed
It can't be plug'n'play when you change a single DIN unit over to a double DIN unit.

If you already had a double DIN, like a SYmphoiny II, then it would have been plug'n'play - with the correct wiring adapter, antenna adapter and 5 minutes of coding wuth VCDS.

I've done it and it's not that much of a PITA, plenty of guides on-line from others…..