Another Rear speakers not working

giblets46

Reaction score
hey all,
seem to be another member who is having problems with their rear speakers, there is no fader option in the 'tone' menu. I think I have narrowed it to possibly one of three causes, am sure one or two (or rather 2 & 3!) may be able to be ruled out immediately! I have an SE and called the garage to double check, and I 'should' have the rear powered speakers.

1. Had a handfree kit 'proffessionally' fitted (nokia, though got huge interference with the head unit, so after giving them three attempts to fix it, they changed to a Parrot ck3100), the yellow phone mute cable is literally stuffed in the plug with some insulating tape, and speaker leads appear to have been soldered to different coloured wires.
2. Had a new head unit fitted under warranty, plugs appear to be well fitted (apparently the head unit auto detects rear speakers and brings up the fade option on discovery (as opposed to units that have no fade option).
3. Had a new bumper fitted, might they have disconnected the rear sub?

If i need to check the rear sub, whats the best way to get to this? I have a sportback, so may be different to the 3 door instructions i have read elsewhere.
Many thanks
Edward

No.1 in your list doesnt fill me with a lot of confidence!

Can you identify what wires are stuffed/soldered into where?

Was it after the parrot was fitted that they stopped working? If so then take it back and kick up a fuss!

Which radio do you have? RNS-E, Concert II, Concert II+ etc. Was it correctly coded into your car when it was fitted?

For the mute lead you should buy the repair wire 000 979 225. About £1 from your dealer. This will give you the female pin to stick in the hole. I have to fit a parrot for a mate on thursday so I ordered this wire to make things tidy.

To get at the rear sub you will need to remove the left hand panel in the boot. For step-by-step guide see the first half of my PhatNoise installation guide: www.a3phatnoise.quinlivan.net.

Thanks for that, had a bit of time between appointments so took it into Audi (still under warranty), turns out one of the plugs had fallen out of the rear near side speaker, this apparently makes turns off both rear speakers and fade ( useful for future reference), as the sub was working.
As for the phone mute, will look into the 'repair wire', cheers again for the advice
Edward