ANOTHER Newbie...On a budget but determined to get decent results

Jimbo10

Reaction score
Morning Chaps

New owner on a 2014 A3, Daytona Grey. Pretty bad swirling and have just stumbled across this forum and it's wealth of information.
I'm at the beginning of my detailing journey and to be brutally honest, I' winging it.

I've searched quite a number of similar threads but wanted confirmation on my strategy.
Here's my list of product that are on my shopping list:

Valet-pro citrus cleaner
Wash Mitt
Poorboys Black Hole
Poorboys EX sealant / Dodo Purple Haze
(already have alloy cleaner)

1) I'll be doing everything by hand and two bucket method.
2) Sealant/Wax? I'm unsure on this. It is my understanding that sealant is more 'dry' and wax will attract dirt more easily. Essentially, I'm after a low maintenance option at first.
3) After sealant, am I good to go? I see other people that do more work after the sealant...is this just a far superior attention to detail?

Will upload some before/after pictures...when completed.

Appreciate any advice/input.

Hey, welcome and enjoy the detailing process, it can get pretty addictive lol.

It all depends what you're after as to what process to follow. I personally find waxing more enjoyable to apply and i tend to think it gets a better level of shine than a sealant, particularly depending on the prep work you do underneath the wax. (Although I'm sure this will vary depending on the product).

A good sealant should reduce the need to wash the car as it should act in a hydrophobic way. If you do apply a sealant then you shouldn't then wax over the top as you are effectively removing the benefits of the sealant.

You'll want to correct your paintwork before you seal or wax it, being on a budget is fine; I find some of the better non retail products actually go further so are worth a little bit extra