1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another misfire cause for the S3

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by S3Alex, Dec 4, 2010.

1. S3Alex

S3Alex Rarely neutral

[Dec 4, 2010]
    Hi all...just to add another cause to the list of misfire causes and solutions.

My modified S3 developed a huge misfire a week ago,and I thought something was terminally wrong.

After limping it down to AMD,the fault turned out to be a crack across the plastic moulding at the top of the HPFP,where the electrical connections go in.

It's not easy to see,and ran across the moulding completely,and the car had no idea of how much or how little fuel it was getting.

Thanks very much to AMD,who have seen a few of these now,and knew where to start looking.

I should add that this has NOTHING to do with the Autotech HPFP pump internals.....it's a part of the original pump that's cracked,and not the result of the internals being altered...merely a piece of plastic fitted into the top of the pump.
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 22, 2014]

3. Staz

Staz is a retronaut Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Dec 5, 2010]
    Don't take this the wrong way Alex but I don't think it's right to say that the crack has NOTHING to do with the new internals. I don't know much about these pumps but I would suggest that running fuel through the original casing at a higher pressure than it was designed for could be the cause of it failing, wouldn't you think?
  4. S3Alex

S3Alex Rarely neutral

[Dec 5, 2010]

Hi Staz.....as I said,it's not the casing that's cracked,its the plastic connector at the top.

There was no fuel leak,and only the place where the electrical connections go in was at fault.
  5. Staz

Staz is a retronaut Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Dec 5, 2010]
    Aha I see what you mean, sorry mate :tapedshut:
  6. S3Alex

S3Alex Rarely neutral

[Dec 6, 2010]
    No worries....just wish I had a picture to show exactly where it is,but it's all dark around the fault....black plastic.