Another 'help number plate lights not working' thread!

Sam Dawson

Reaction score
Sorry to start a new thread on a topic that is practically discussed all the time but couldn't find any info when I searched through.

Right basically I bought some LED rear lights off eBay. They have massive heatsinks! I fitted the first one with no problems at all. I then moved onto the second one and it didn't work. I decided to put the factory bulb back in and also that did not work.

So I was running with just one working. I then thought about swapping the lights over, so I put the LED which was working into the side that wasn't...still no luck, so I put that back into the side it was working and now it doesn't work. Neither do both of the original lights.

Could anyone shed some light :happy: on this problem.
Any alternative LED light that works with no problems.
Or how to get my original lights working.

My a3 is 2005 sb model by the way!

Make sure they are the right way round so the polarity is correct, also check the fuse if none of the lights are no longer working

Make sure everything is switched off and put the originals back in. Then switch back on.

The power to the circuits (there is a separate circuit for each side ) has been cut off by the control module.

You could check the fuses but I doubt they will have blown unless the heatsink on the leds shorted out.

There are NO leds that can be guaranteed to work without problems on an Audi as you will know if you've read all the threads. The latest is that the massive heatsink, like the ones you have, get so hot without air flowing over to cool them that they melt the plastic housing (see thread of a couple of days ago). That's a fifty quid part from Audi.

If they still don't work you will have to get the fault codes cleared with VCDS and try again

Last edited:
Thanks mike. I will try and get the old ones back I'n and working.
If not then will garages sort out VCDS, or would it be main dealer?
I'm sure that won't be cheap either!

The actual bulb holders are *****.

Make sure you havent bent the prongs slightly as the landing area for them is tiny and a pain in the **** to fit properly

A simple lock and unlock should be suffficent to reset the error which kills the power to the lights.

Has anyone considered the following, My canbus big mahoosive heat sink bulbs came from china today....All was going well i removed one number plate light the other screw rounded off!

I tried to drill it out and its made a mess of it.......Maybe it was a sign to fore warn me not to fit the leds. So im not going to! Upon searching im just after a slightly whiter light.

Anyone considered these!
eBay.ie: MTEC 289 Festoon T10x31 Super White Xenon Bulbs *Pair* (item 370482213751 end time 07-Apr-11 22:15:07 BST)

eBay.ie: PIAA H-223 XTREME WHITE HID LOOK INTERIOR BULBS T10X31 (item 310304242730 end time 14-Apr-11 20:19:15 BST)

I know they wont be pure led white but id rather them slightly whiter, No canbus troubles, no fuses blowing, no over heating bla bla.........Any opinions

Has anyone considered the following, My canbus big mahoosive heat sink bulbs came from china today....All was going well i removed one number plate light the other screw rounded off!

I tried to drill it out and its made a mess of it.......Maybe it was a sign to fore warn me not to fit the leds. So im not going to! Upon searching im just after a slightly whiter light.

Anyone considered these!
eBay.ie: MTEC 289 Festoon T10x31 Super White Xenon Bulbs *Pair* (item 370482213751 end time 07-Apr-11 22:15:07 BST)

eBay.ie: PIAA H-223 XTREME WHITE HID LOOK INTERIOR BULBS T10X31 (item 310304242730 end time 14-Apr-11 20:19:15 BST)

I know they wont be pure led white but id rather them slightly whiter, No canbus troubles, no fuses blowing, no over heating bla bla.........Any opinions

farhanali - Those bulbs are 10W, twice what we're supposed to have, so heat issues will probably ensue. I have read stories about people fitting 10W bulbs and melting their bulb housings.

Both links look interesting. However I have the following observations :-

The pricing of the items in the first link looks strange. £3.99 and £7 postage from Salford ? Is 10 watt correct because I've never checked oem ones ?

The second link seems strange because the picture shows festoons but the description is for brake/rear light bulbs.

Dodgy advertising but they may be ok !

farhanali - Those bulbs are 10W, twice what we're supposed to have, so heat issues will probably ensue. I have read stories about people fitting 10W bulbs and melting their bulb housings.

:tocktock: I failed! Your right i didnt think of that however dude one thing i dont seem to understand is, LEDs say they are low power consumption than the OE bulbs im a bit confused with why the over heating issues then?

I WANT WHITE NUMBER PLATE BULBS :crying:

Mike, the salford bulbs are probably coming from the far east, Many sellers from other countries have a UK base or office registered to ebay but ship them from china its a tactic but they will get here if ordered.

I to saw the listing on the second one but im guessing its just an error

Because the mahoosive heatsinks get hot when the drain the amps to fool the ecu

Because the mahoosive heatsinks get hot when the drain the amps to fool the ecu

So in essence if we cancel out the heatsinks and canbus errors the two above bulbs i posted should be a better alternative.

Theres only one way to find out! Someone order them and be the test bunny :) I would but im hitting a pay decline and one of my number plate bulb thing is rounded off LOL

:tocktock: I failed! Your right i didnt think of that however dude one thing i dont seem to understand is, LEDs say they are low power consumption than the OE bulbs im a bit confused with why the over heating issues then?

I WANT WHITE NUMBER PLATE BULBS :crying:

Mike, the salford bulbs are probably coming from the far east, Many sellers from other countries have a UK base or office registered to ebay but ship them from china its a tactic but they will get here if ordered.

I to saw the listing on the second one but im guessing its just an error

The overheating is due to the resistors in the bulbs not the led's.

Led's themselves have very low current draw and do not give off heat but due to Audi canbus systems, resistors are inserted to make the control module think the bulbs haven't blown !

These resistors get very hot and so does the heatsink if there is no airflow to cool it.

This has reminded me, mine havent worked for weeks now!

The yellow warning light on the dash has become the norm now i never notice!! I will have to get some new bulb holders. I'm so fed up with mine i just want the feckers to work even if they are yellowish

Yeh my yellow light came up last night, it wound me up! Beat get used to it then. Is that your only option then? Getting new bulb holders?