another esp question

brownie 25

Reaction score
well everyone the esp light has been coming on and off for a while now but today started the car from cold and drove out of my drive,and with the wheels turned left there was a bit of a grind from front left wheel and it was like the brake stuck for a split second and released again (one problem).later on in the day was taking off from a junction and it seemed there was no power for about 3 sec and the esp light was flashing,then it just drove on again fine and the light stopped flashing any one ever have anything like this.
ps its a 01 a4 2.5 qs

Last edited:
I know I say it time and again.... but you need to get it scanned. It might cost you a bit but it's the best chance of getting the problem diagnosed. The ESP light comes on for so many errors it's impossible for anyone here to be be able to accurately tell you whats wrong.

i had it scanned and all it shows is a needle lift sensor

Ouch :(

Thats not an uncommon fault on the 2.5. Its worth checking the wiring loom where it passes the cam covers to make sure it's not damaged.

Mine comes on when the wind changes direction, or there's a week in the month !
then won't come on for between 50 and a hundred miles, stays on till I turn the ign; off start back up and all's fine for another hundred miles or so !!! WTF

Had mine scanned,,, 1 code steering angle sensor,
Checked the front tyre pressure today 35 psi n/side,,, 15 psi o/side, maybe this was my problem !:shrug:

Last edited:
the steering angle sensor is behind the steering wheel and may throw up the esp light, have you had cruise and dis retrofitted? maybe in need of a new steering angle bit.or there maybe a loose connection somewhere

the steering angle sensor is behind the steering wheel and may throw up the esp light, have you had cruise and dis retrofitted? maybe in need of a new steering angle bit.or there maybe a loose connection somewhere

cruise and dis,,, factory fitted
I changed the steering wheel + after having it lowered I had 4 wheel alignment done and the s/wheel was slightly of center so I removed and replaced it in line...

Taking the wheel off to straighten it wont affect it. Ive done it on mine as when i fitted cruise and dis as i didnt refit it quite straight. there is a steering angle calibration sequence you can try but it requires vag-com. Other than that it may well be an intermitant fault with the sensor itself.

well everyone the esp light has been coming on and off for a while now but today started the car from cold and drove out of my drive,and with the wheels turned left there was a bit of a grind from front left wheel and it was like the brake stuck for a split second and released again (one problem).later on in the day was taking off from a junction and it seemed there was no power for about 3 sec and the esp light was flashing,then it just drove on again fine and the light stopped flashing any one ever have anything like this.
ps its a 01 a4 2.5 qs

Mine has been similar for the past 6 months, I do a lot of motorway miles and some days it's fine. Other days it judders slightly and the ESP light comes on then goes out for a while and then comes back on? If I switch the engine off it re-sets and may or may not come back on? At low speeds it very rarely comes on at all?

It is mystifying but it's due a service soon so hopefully I'll be able to sort it. (Cheaply:( )