1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

another enclosure Q

fenian672000 Feb 5, 2007

1. fenian672000

fenian672000 Member

Andy....

Auto Acoustics do a 12inch sealed sub box with 0.75 volume at £80

My sub which is a RE acoustic SE dvc is at the moment mounted in a standard autoleads ported box.

My question is this....what diifference will i hear w the sealed box in terms of quality, will it be for instance more tight and less boomy?

I understand that you need more power to drive a sub in a sealed box, the max power i can deliver is 300wrms, which is the rating of the sub. but would it be neccesary to over power a sealed box to get the results

2. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

It should be tighter, but will require more power than a ported box (although judging from the quality of most Autoleads products you may be pleasantly surprised, didn't know they made enclosures TBH).
    300wrms should be more than enough for most enclosures/subs, with the correct volume you shouldn't have to overpower a sub in a sealed box.
    The difference in sound will always depend on the type of ported enclosure, as they vary wildly in design and this can be both good & bad. Also depends on the type of music you listen to. Ported enclosures are generally better at the really smooth low down stuff like reggae.

3. fenian672000

fenian672000 Member

thanks for the reply, im finding at the moment that sometimes the bass from the sub is "wooly" sounding and i end up turning the sub way down low on the H/U controll.

Im hoping for better sound quality with the sealed box, and auto acoustics seem very profesional so im hopefull of a solid box build

My only reservation is the 0.75 volume....seems very small ....but i suppose if its the manafacturers recomendations then it must be correct....:yes: