Another 3.0TDI VS S5V8

tomsko

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm thinking of upgrading my daily (S3 8L) with something from this century.
So I was thinking S5, but after doing a little research I'm starting to heavily consider the S-line A5 3.0TDI as well. As it can push near-400HP / 800nM without much mods and leave the S5 in the dust. Sure I lose the S5 badge and the sound of a N/A V8, but the cost wise it might just be the better decision for a daily. I want to keep i under 20k€ total - so if I take the TDI, 20k should also cover all the performance mods. Also I read that with the TDI I should go for manual transmission and a sports diff(how common are those in Germany?).

Sure there is S5 facelift with even more power potential, but now we are talking 30k€+

What do you think? Any input is appreciated.
P.S. What's new in A5 Facelift TDI?

Last edited:
Depends if you want a diesel or a petrol...?

V8 only real tuning capability is if you have deep enough pockets to add a supercharger. Then you are getting to stupid levels of performance.

Finding an S5 with the sports diff is difficult in the UK, so I imagine a 3.0TDI with the diff is as rare as hens teeth...really difficult to tell if its specified from dealership adverts as well!

I want the petrol ofc, but TDI seems wiser decision.
Yes there is the supercharger option, but as I said I want to keep it under 20k.

Would be the V8 for me...I dont like diesel cars and no matter how much more economical they are, I could never get on with it!

That said, you are pretty limited mod wise with the V8 so I can see why you are considering it...

Is waiting to afford a V6 an option? Best of both worlds then!

Would be the V8 for me...I dont like diesel cars and no matter how much more economical they are, I could never get on with it!

That said, you are pretty limited mod wise with the V8 so I can see why you are considering it...

Is waiting to afford a V6 an option? Best of both worlds then!
I could drop more, but if we are talking S5V6 price (30k€) then I might even lean more to the Benz CL63 AMG

Reactions: DrEskimo
I could drop more, but if we are talking S5V6 price (30k€) then I might even lean more to the Benz CL63 AMG

Ha....what a horrible dilemma to have... :p

Recently traded my 2013 3tdi sportback for a 2014 s5 coupe..no doubt the tdi has great performance and fuel economy but not as sweet as a v6 or v8 petrol on the ears, I was also concerned about the dpf. Had it for a few weeks now and not regretting it at all.

If you are going for a manual I wouldn't go more than 750Nm if it's going to be a daily, sure you can do more but the clutch / DMF is not going to thank you . The Tiptronic auto seems to cope pretty well as Bobby Singh is running over 900Nm with his.