1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another 2.0 tdi oil thread

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by cjp2k, Jan 19, 2008.

1. cjp2k

cjp2k Member

Last night on the way to see the Mrs driving around the m60 the low oil light came on, I stupidly had no oil in the car so had 2 drive the last 4 miles with the warning on, soon as i got to the girlfriends where the oil was i topped it up, question is will i have done any long term damage to the car??

Cheers

Chris
  2. SteveTDCi

SteveTDCi Active Member

I doubt it, that was always happening to my golf, I think the light is just a warning that its low.
  3. cjp2k

cjp2k Member

Thanks steve, good to know!!
  4. motorbikez

motorbikez Active Member

No but its worth checking your oil every month as there seem to be a wide variation in the amount of oil the 2ltr TDI uses form virtually nil like mine to every 1500 miles or so.
  5. Boydie

Boydie Guest

The tdi's use a lot of oil, so regular checks is a must! 4 miles isnt bad at all, i once had the light come on and took 20mins before I got more - cars fine!
  6. bacardi

bacardi Active Member

Drove mine for a few days with the low oil light on and no problems reported since, I've noticed the low oil level warning is quite keen to come on (Like the washer bottle one) so I'd assume there's some "safety" margin built in