1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Annoying vibration driving me scatty....

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Welly, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Welly

Welly VX220 SC Driver :)

Hi all.

Thoughts appreciated on this issue...

I have an extremely annoying vibration comignt hrough the S3. Difficult to describe to be fair, but feels like wheel balance issues... Gets worse (sometimes) as you get higher up through the rev band, and is worse in the higher gears (i.e hurting it in 4th for example).

Not easy to pin down due to it seeming to be worse now and then.

Issues found so far which could be possible causes :-

Huge split in CV Boot FN/S. Age unknown so I am going to change the whole joint for piece of mind...

RO/S wheel bearing. Annoying and grumbling like hell. Whining also.

However, it feels to me like the vibration is coming from mid car - so is there a bush on the prop which could fail and cause mis alignment? This would strike me as a bit odd as I would expect it to do this more than it is, and be bad through all the gears...

Any thoughts on this and/or other possible causes?

Ta :)
  2. Sandip

Sandip Well-Known Member

Just thought i'd ask bud but what condition are your tyres in bud?
  3. fran-s3

fran-s3 Active Member

Feeling you frustration mate. Been trying to fix an annoying rattle on mine coming from the front drivers side.... Had the front ARB changed and bushes and the headlight level arm removed as it had snapped and it's still their! Mechanic said he felt only a slight top mount movement but not enough to warrant it being that, however I'm starting to suspect it's that!
  4. Welly

Not the best I grant you....
  5. Sandip

Sandip Well-Known Member

I've had a similar problem on one of past past cars, if your tyres are worn you'll get vibration, humming and very poor ride quality. Doesn't matter how matter times you balnce them or check the tyre pressure it'll feel rough. Depending on which tyres are bad i'd be tempted to either change them, maybe if you can a set of good part worns just to eliminate the tyres out of this problem or change them all for new ideally
  6. Welly

I've got a pair of new ones ready to go on in my garage. I shall investigate this, I hope it's just that!! That would be a nice easy fix.