Annoying ticking / rattling noise under dash on RS3

chuwey25

Reaction score
Hi all,

I posted this in the A3/S3/Sportback section but then realised there was an RS3 section, so here it is again, hopefully in the correct place this time!

I've recently become the proud owner of a 2011 RS3 and I'm loving it!

Except for one really really annoying noise that i'm a bit at a loss to locate with my limited knowledge of Audi's..

It occurs between 800 - 1200 rpm, clears completely above that rpm, is generally louder when cold, and sometimes doesn't do it at all.

It sounds like a ticking solenoid or rotating type sound (imagine an old fashioned cable driven rev counter!), and it seems to be coming from behind the dashboard (right hand side, drivers side).

It might even be a vibration caused by the engine rpm at that low idle / fast idle sort of speed - if you hold the revs just right, you can get it to tick to your hearts content - but as I say, go slightly higher on the rpm and the noise clears completely.

I don't think its coming from the engine bay because it sounds too much like its behind the dash, although I have tried listening to the noise with the bonnet open. I cant really hear it for all the other ticking noises under there though)

Any suggestions on what to look for would be gratefully received - unknown noises are the bane of my life :)

Cheers all!

Reactions: 45bvtc
The tfsi a3/s3 8p ticks as normal, so I wonder if its the same characteristic as that engine.

The tfsi a3/s3 8p ticks as normal, so I wonder if its the same characteristic as that engine.
Possibly - i'm pretty sure its not coming from the engine itself, perhaps more of a resonant frequency of something under the dash - i'll have to start removing a few dashboard bits to try and get a look up under there I think.

I had a heater solenoid replaced for a ticking noise intermittently its behind the centre console kick trim

Reactions: chuwey25
I had a heater solenoid replaced for a ticking noise intermittently its behind the centre console kick trim
Thanks, i'll try and narrow down a bit more where it is as its getting really annoying now! Mine is odd because it is only at tickover or a tad above, and I cant think what system or systems would only be active at tickover. I've tried every heater position and blower position etc but it never seems to make a difference to the noise. I'm waiting to press that one button that stops the noise, but as yet, no luck :)

Thanks, i'll try and narrow down a bit more where it is as its getting really annoying now! Mine is odd because it is only at tickover or a tad above, and I cant think what system or systems would only be active at tickover. I've tried every heater position and blower position etc but it never seems to make a difference to the noise. I'm waiting to press that one button that stops the noise, but as yet, no luck :)

Hi mate if it is that it won't go away no matter what button you push.

Keep me posted of how you get on

Hi mate if it is that it won't go away no matter what button you push.

Keep me posted of how you get on
Will do - do you know if its easily accessible? Any hints on how I can get access to see/feel if that's where it is coming from? :)

Hi all,

Just to update anyone interested that I've finally tracked down this most annoying noise!

It turned out to be the plastic fuel line where it is fed from the front of the car underneath inside the chassis rail - at idle there must be just the right amount of fuel pressure to make it vibrate / resonate, and because of how it was sat in the chassis rail, it resonted through the rail causing a loud tapping noise!

It does have some foam packing where it exits the back end of the rail that is obviously designed to keep it from touching the rail, but this was slightly squashed over time, and needed a similar one where it enters. With the help of a good friend, we used some sound deadening foam to pack out the hose and prevent the contact and resulting noise!

Amazing how a small amount of movement from a plastic pipe underneath roughly the drivers seat location gets amplifies into a sound that seemed to be inside the car!

Cheers

Garry

Reactions: 45bvtc and leshkin
I've got a 8P S3, but wonder if this is the same thing that has been driving me nuts since I bought the car :) Will take a look at this and see if this is not unique to the RS3 :)

Reactions: chuwey25
I've got a 8P S3, but wonder if this is the same thing that has been driving me nuts since I bought the car :) Will take a look at this and see if this is not unique to the RS3 :)

It would probably be a common route for the fuel hose to run on all models - I'm wondering if there is a revised fuel pipe part number to resolve this problem for professionally than what I've done - I might enquire with my dealer.

Let me know of this turns out to be your issue too!

Hi all,

Just to update anyone interested that I've finally tracked down this most annoying noise!

It turned out to be the plastic fuel line where it is fed from the front of the car underneath inside the chassis rail - at idle there must be just the right amount of fuel pressure to make it vibrate / resonate, and because of how it was sat in the chassis rail, it resonted through the rail causing a loud tapping noise!

It does have some foam packing where it exits the back end of the rail that is obviously designed to keep it from touching the rail, but this was slightly squashed over time, and needed a similar one where it enters. With the help of a good friend, we used some sound deadening foam to pack out the hose and prevent the contact and resulting noise!

Amazing how a small amount of movement from a plastic pipe underneath roughly the drivers seat location gets amplifies into a sound that seemed to be inside the car!

Cheers

Garry

Have you got any pictures to show where this is located?

I had a similar problem with the rattling appearing only between 1200-1400 rpms. Thought it was the fuel lines and checked everything under the car too. Turns out it was one of the hoses attached to a heat shield right by the firewall and behind the intake pipe, slight adjustment/bending of the the heat shield fixed it. Thought I'd chime in to spare someone else this painful witch hunt.