1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Annoying Rattle

Discussion in 'Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B7 Chassis)' started by pburv, Aug 23, 2012.

1. pburv

pburv Member

[Aug 23, 2012]
    Hi All. Hope someone can help.I have started to hear an annoying rattle from my car which sounds like a heat shield vibrating on the exhaust.? It only happens when I take my foot off the accelerator.It has been in to my local Audi dealer and they seem to think there isn,t a problem . It is a 2.0 quattro 220 bhp Bul engine 2006 reg. Has anyone had this problem?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 23, 2014]

3. Phantom_A4

Phantom_A4 Member

[Aug 24, 2012]
    Same problem, very temperamental. Usually happens when the exhaust is warm. From further inspection it sounds more like the small flexi after the cat.
  4. Molnboman

Molnboman Well-Known Member

[Aug 24, 2012]
    Bit of a random this...but it's not yer engine pinking is it?.....I had a similar sound...really bad, but changed from 95 to 98 V power and it has gone. I know am probably barking up the wrong tree....but just thought I would through this curveball at ya! Apologies if I am talking pish!

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers
    A
  5. pburv

pburv Member

[Aug 24, 2012]
    Funny you should say that..The audi techie asked what fuel I was using and I told him i have allways used 98 octane fuel so he told me to try 95 for a few tank fulls to try and see if the noise changes.This I assume is to tell if it,s pinking or not? So I will see if there is any change in the noise and take it from there..Thanks for your input:yes:
  6. pburv

pburv Member

[Aug 24, 2012]
    I thought it might be something amiss with the exhaust system ,but the audi tech said he checked it all and that everything was ok? Thanks for your input mate..:thumbsup:
  7. Molnboman

Molnboman Well-Known Member

[Aug 24, 2012]
    No worries Matey.....98 down to 95? Shouldn't that be the other way about? ...I know of a few people who have run their 2.0t's only on 95 and then others who only run 98 or 99 vpower whatever they want to call it! hahaha
    I took my car which was rattling like f@ck to two dealers one was authorised VAG and they thought it was something chronic it was so bad...infact they told me not to drive it out of the garage it was so bad....then the rattle it magically went away and has never returned and that was nearly 5000km's ago. Since then I have been running Vpower 98.....before it was Shell 95.....the rattle I had was mental... it sounded like a metal plate was loose somewhere.....and it was intermitant and was on at idle or driving.....really strange sh@t!
    Keep us posted on how you get on.

BR
    A
  8. pburv

pburv Member

[Aug 25, 2012]
    Yes I agree it should be the other way round,but because i have been using high octane fuel allready the mechanic wanted to see if using a lower rate fuel would change the noise I have been experiencing just to prove if it is the engine pinking..As it stands at the moment I personally think it is something else? So for now I will do as the mechanic says and use 95 octane fuel for a while and see what happens..I will keep you all informed with the results. Cheers "buddy":rock:
  9. Stringster

Stringster Missed gear

[Aug 28, 2012]
    Similar issue here! Mine rattles just before the clutch bites. Took it to Audi who said pinking - I only ever run on super and it has been mapped since then and the intermittent rattle continues.

I find that if I put my hand down the exhaust tunnel from the engine bay and pull back the heat shields it goes away for a few days.

It is not too bad so can live with it.
  10. sewell10

sewell10 Member

[Aug 28, 2012]
    Will be the actuator rod on the turbo getting common now
  11. Stringster

Stringster Missed gear

[Aug 29, 2012]
    Is there any fix for the actuator rod?
  12. pburv

pburv Member

[Aug 30, 2012]
    Hi Sewell10. Could you please ellaborate on the fault with the actuator rod.??and if possible what the fix involves. Cheers·.As for an update on my original post I filled the tank to the brim yesterday with low octane fuel(95) as instructed by the techie in my local Audi dealership. This is to to see if there is any change to the rattling sound·.Hopefully this will cancel out the suspected engine pinking..
  13. sewell10

sewell10 Member

[Aug 30, 2012]
    Try fitting a clip to it failing that new turbo