Annoying Dash Rattle

Jack-A3

Reaction score
Hi,

I bought my A3 last month with THE most annoying dash rattle.Its coming from between the centre air vents and passenger air bag!

Any ideas how to tackle it or even what it might be!?

We had a similar squeeky rettle from that area, i removed the side trim to access the bolts in there. Once in there i slackened all of the torx bolts off, and pushed the dash down as much as i could, held t there and did the bolts up. So far fingers crossed no more noise, and no further dissmantling

I bought some fabric insulation tape and covered all of the places where plastic parts meet around every panel on the dash ( it took a couple of days), but was well worth it :)

ok, brilliant. Ill give it a go.

Thanks for the help!!

............no good!

Loosened the bolts and lowered the dash as far as poss....still rattle!loosened the bolts and raised the dash and still a rattle! loosened bolts and still rattle!!i think you get my drift!

I think the next step is probably dash out!

Does anybody know how much access can be gained by removing the glove box?

Thanks!

I have a similar problem that I thought was the centre vent and has turned out to be the interior mirror!!

............no good!

Loosened the bolts and lowered the dash as far as poss....still rattle!loosened the bolts and raised the dash and still a rattle! loosened bolts and still rattle!!i think you get my drift!

I think the next step is probably dash out!

Does anybody know how much access can be gained by removing the glove box?

Thanks!

Quite a lot mate! You might want to remove the lower trim in the driver's side too. That way you can tighten many of the bolts that hold the centre console together. If you can be bothered, I would recommend removing the stereo and aircon module to get to the bolts that hold the main metal frame. Mine were very loose and made for a very rattly dash.

Get some fabric insulation tape - can't praise it enough... My dash is as tight as a drum now. The only problem of doing this is that you can then hear all the other little rattles from the back etc....

I have a similar problem that I thought was the centre vent and has turned out to be the interior mirror!!

Definately not the mirror as when i prod the interior it makes the worst squeeking sound in the world!

Get some fabric insulation tape - can't praise it enough... My dash is as tight as a drum now

Thanks for the tip!ill be stopping on the way home to pick some up and ill let you guys know how i get on!!

where can one find/purchase this amazing insulation tape?

where can one find/purchase this amazing insulation tape?

Try searching for Anti-rattle tape on google... I got mine from vag-parts, but last I heard, they went bust not long after new year.

Here some results of my searches:

http://www.kenteurope.com/uk/automotive/adhesivetapes.php

OR

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Anti-Rattle-Strips-VW-Nissan-Ford-Honda-Citreon_W0QQitemZ290304589310QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Terminals_Cabling_ET?hash=item290304589310&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

You know what i had this same problem, took me absolutely ages to find out what it was it was annoying the hell out of me. Turned out to be money in the ashtray and when i put my foot down it was causing the coins to rattle :lmfao: Check that and get back to me?

Hmm, i'd like to think the simple things had been looked into first before th eidea of removing dash!!! Dear me!

Mines got a rattle, its the central vent on top of the dash. If I drive along and put my finger on it the rattle/buzz stops. I'm going to take it out and pad it out a bit so it stops as its driving me around the bend.

i have a rattle inside the air vent, o know its here becuase it only rattles when i have the air coming out the centre fans.

I solve this by opening my window or turning musci up.

I would like to know a proper solution though

i have a rattle inside the air vent, o know its here becuase it only rattles when i have the air coming out the centre fans.

I solve this by opening my window or turning musci up.

I would like to know a proper solution though

One of my mates stops cars vibrating for a living so I've collared him into helping me fix it. I'll let you know how I get on, I'd imagine its all about 'mass' of something and I'll be able to sort it with dynamat to beef things up a bit (worked on my old Clio).

T

Ok, well after reading all of your posts i decided that I should just attack the dash full on....I removed the glove box and pretty much found the issue right away.I loosened the bolt on a bracket that sits just behind the centre console and hey presto!rattle stopped. I also purchased some insulation tape and only used 1 strip so if anybody wants the remaining 9 you can have them at a very fair price!:thumbsup:

Thanks again to everybody that contributed!

do you have any pictures of where the bolts are to remove the dash or tighten them? my dash seems to creak a lot if driving over any kind of rough road. iv bought a load of sound dampening and will use that if i need to remove the whole dash but id rather not. the noise seems to be coming from the back of the dash, right along where it sits up against the windscreen.

out of intrest would something like expandable foam work to stop movement in the dash?

thanks

I shall be taking advantage of the good weather today and I'll be trying to solve many of the dash rattles I have, so as per Mike_Plymouth's post above, if anyone has any tips or locations of hidden/hard to find bolts, screws etc that would be rather nice!

My centre vent on the top of my dash vibrates sometimes, if I touch it with my finget it stops so I think I'll take it out and refit it to see if that helps.

i had a horrible ratle on the drivers side air vent. took it out and everything seemed to be ok. poped the bottem section of the dash around the igniction etc and noticed that the air vent tubes run on top of the HUGE steel bar that runs across the dash.
i jammed some foam inbetween the areas they touch and bobs your uncle. jobs a gud'n.

I work for a company in Essex called RGH Rubber & Plastics, we have a full range of anti rattle and anti vibration felts which help prevent any noise and squeaks that may occur between two mouldings. We make the product self adhesive and then slit the material to whatever width you need and can then also make it into pads to fit a required size. We usually deal with automotive manufacturers but if any of you guys need the odd sample piece etc then I'm sure I'd be able to help you out. Email is sales@rghrubber.co.uk which come straight through to me or check out the website www.rghrubber.co.uk You can't buy from the website but it helps show what we do.

Hope that helps!

Dave