AndyMac stealth sub upgrade

steve1975l

Reaction score
I ordered the stealth sub and amplifier from AndyMac and a couple of days later a complete kit arrived. With some comprehensive instructions, amp setup and wiring clearly labelled, this is going to be Childs play.

Well it took a bit longer than I thought. I did almost all of the work yesterday afternoon apart from the rear speak panel. A couple of clips snapped off so I was waiting for the glue to go off properly. There is quite a bit off work involved and having the right tools to hand is a must but the results are well worth it.

I know this should go in the ICE section but it is more relevant to the A3/S3 forum as it is a great stealth upgrade and you don't lose any space in the boot. If you haven't got one yet, go get one you won't regret it.

A big thank you to Andy!

Steve.

[image]http://www.audi-sport.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=890[/image]

So how does it sound? Much better than OEM?

What did that set you back?

Cheers

Ask AndyMac for the prices as it depends on what you want and whether you have Bose or not.

I used some dynamat under the sub and on the rear wing and then put the original foam back on top so it doesn't rattle at all.

I totally agree.

The AndyMac ss upgrade is the second best upgrade on my car (and the best is the engine upgrade :)

Looks like you got loads of space for your sub - I trust you that is not what I've got with the Navi-cd reader, mobile phone and parking sensor stash all mounted above the original sub (but I made it in the end)

I used the same dynamat technic as you did, and mine dosen't rattle either.

regards
100% happy customer

[ QUOTE ]
I totally agree.

The AndyMac ss upgrade is the second best upgrade on my car (and the best is the engine upgrade :)

[/ QUOTE ]

was considering 1 of these myself cuz i like the fact it aint on show but ended up fitting my sub and amp cuz its was just sitting about. i only have a kenwood sub and amp but it does sound well but was considering how the andymac sub compares to a normal sub and amp setup

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I totally agree.

[/ QUOTE ]

was considering 1 of these myself cuz i like the fact it aint on show but ended up fitting my sub and amp cuz its was just sitting about. i only have a kenwood sub and amp but it does sound well but was considering how the andymac sub compares to a normal sub and amp setup

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the Andymac upgrade aswell, it's a huge improvement over the standard Bose sub, and compliments the Bose fit speakers, but it's also not quite a seperate amp a sub setup imo.

Does the sub cause any problems being under the CD changer?.. I would have imagned it to cause the CD to jump and impose some knocks to the mechnicals of the changer?

Yes, agree with jojo, it can't compete with a proper sub, the thing is tiny for godsake. It really sits between the standard sub and a proper sub. At lower volumes I actually prefer it to my 10" ported Alpine in my A4, it has more punch with no overwhelming low bass which can drown out everything else (and means you're constantly adjusting the levels), but obviously at very high volumes it runs out of steam and you have to back off the Bass a bit.
If you've never had a proper sub then it will knock your socks off, but if you're used to a proper sub then it is most definately a step down.
Thanks for the positive review Steve, can't believe you got it all fitted the same day it was delivered! Nice work.
Cheers, Andy

[ QUOTE ]
Does the sub cause any problems being under the CD changer?.. I would have imagned it to cause the CD to jump and impose some knocks to the mechnicals of the changer?

[/ QUOTE ]

Using the factory CD changer, there's no way to bolt it down, so I used 2 layers of double sided pads. I've not heard it jump once and I'm running 19" wheels aswell /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

is it some sort of audi wiring going into this sub or are they standard rca's? do you run it off the head unit amp or has audi got one of them behind it?
Sorry for the questions but i never get round to pulling it all out to have a good look