Andymac stealth sub + Infinity Kappa install.

Mallev

Reaction score
Hey all. First post but just have to write up my Andymac install into my 2002 S3 with bose over the weekend.

After much deliberation, searching and speaking to Andymac I finally decided on this setup.

Andymac Stealth Sub
Alpine V12 for Sub
Andymac custom mdf adaptor rings front and rear
Infinity Kappa 652.9i 16.5cm coaxials in the rear
Infinity Kappa 50.9cs 13cm components in the front
Cabin speakers all running from a standard head unit and the bose amp.

I have not seen anyone write up about fitting these speakers before so here are the findings:

Rears fit absolutley no problem at all. There is plenty of room.

Fronts speakers also fit ok but to be safe we cut the foam from the door card behind them. I think they are right on the limit when using Andymac adaptors.

I was so obsessed with trying to find thin enough 2ohm speakers that I did not even check the tweeters. With the 50.9's they are huge...really deep and larger diameter that the standard. In the end we had to cut the plastic clips for the standard tweeters and hot glue them in place.

Again infinity went a little crazy with the crossovers too. They could have been 1/3 of the size. To fit these in the doors we had to remove the top covers that simply pop off. This meant they were thin enough to hot glue/tape into a space behind the foam by the door pulls. We also needed to cut the foam from behind the tweeters as they were pushing out the interior door handles a little bit.

I am sure most of you have read about andymacs stealth sub before so I will keep it brief. It is quite amazing & kicks alot of bass for the size of it. It definatley punches above its weight and if you want to keep your boot space then imho this is the best option for you. The build quality is rock solid. Easy as good an any enclosure you would find in a shop.

So then finally a quick few words about the actual install. I arrived at andymacs for 10am to find him putting up some tarpaulin as it was raining quite bad. Once up he quickly got to work ripping the interior out. He did in 30 mins what would have taken me 2 hours I am sure :) By 2pm the sub was installed so we (mostly andymac) got to work on the speakers. After a bit of head scratching on the fronts the whole thing was up and running by about 5.30pm This included taking the back panels off again to adjust the sub gain to balance with the kappas.

The original bose was pretty blown so I cannot say what it should sound like, but the AMSS + the kappas sounds amazing. It is plenty loud enough for me and has excellent midrange and trebble now. It deffinatley sounds like an after market install even running on the standard bose amp & HU.

For a cost effective and "fairly" easy upgrade I think this was a very good route to take. For anyone considering an upgrade or your bose is blown like mine was I can highly recommend visiting andymac. He was very friendly and certianly knows his stuff. He took good care of my car and went above and beyond what he really needed to do in helping install the cabin speakers.

Big thanks & a very happy customer! :applaus: